Salmon Cooking Temp

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am used to most recipes recommending cooking salmon at 400F for 25 minutes or until the meat flakes to avoid it getting soggy. Perfect salmon every time. However this temp is not possible in WSM unless grilling. What I am looking for is guidance from those who have done salmon regularly to address these questions:

Smoke or grill (or smoke then grill)?

Cooking temp?

How do you keep it firm yet moist but not soggy?

I understand brining helps to draw out some of the moisture, it this true?

Thanks--Alan

HI Alan!

I grill mine at around 400?. It will take about 10-12 minutes for a 1" fillet. 25 minutes sounds like too much, may dry it out.

Here is how I was taught to do it....this is also the method that the new Weber Grilling book suggests. These are for fillets...whole salmon is quite different.

Prep with your choice of spices(I have never brined). Then spray with olive oil on BOTH sides. Start with the FLESH side down. Wait for the fish to release itself from the grill. This will take about 7-8 minutes. Then turn over onto skin side and finish it off. Shouldn't take more than another 2-4 minutes.

Stogie

Hi Alan,

You don't have to choose between grilling or smoking salmon, it can be delicious either way.

Two methods of smoking salmon are discussed on the Web site in the topics Salmon - Brown Sugar Rub and Salmon - Brined Appetizer-Style. Both call for smoking over alder wood in the 240-250*F range. Cook as suggested in either topic and you will not end up with dry or soggy salmon.

I don't know whether brining draws moisture out of fish or not. I do know that brining will actually add moisture to poultry, but I don't know if it has the same effect on fish. You can read more about brining on the All About Brining page.

The application of a rub containing a lot of salt will draw moisture from salmon as it sits. You can see this in some of the pictures in the Salmon - Brown Sugar Rub topic.

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 07-03-2001).]

I concur with Chris's comments.
I've been using his salmon brown sugar rub, and directions for use, on salmon, ocean trout and even freshwater trout, and smoking over plum and maple at 230-250. The end result is superb.
It's another WSM product my lovely wife insists I prepare for guests. (We have the fish a lot also without inviting guests
smile.gif
)

regards

Jock

Chris and Stogie,
Thanks for the feedback. Part of the problems with recipes you don't always get info on the texture which is important. Chris thanks for clarifying that with the posted recipes.

Stogie, thanks for the grilling tidbits. Hope to get some good practice in this weekend with the salmon.

I grill steaks and smoke fillets. I put the steaks in those metal fish "baskets" and grill over high heat. Flip them every 5 minutes and baste with a combination of melted butter, lemon juice and dill. Takes 15-20 minutes for a 1 1/2 inch steak.

The fillets I have brined or used the dry rub that Chris posted on this forum. I like them both, but the rub is easier so I have been doing it lately. I cook the fillets at 250-300 for 1.5-2 hours. They are not soggy at all, very moist. I use alder whether smoking or grilling. Hope this helps.

John

Well thanks gang. Used the brown sugar rub last night and cooked for about 1-1/2 hours at about 350F (no water in pan). The key was the 160F in the thick part of the fish. That worked great. Moist yet firm and flaked nicely.

For some experimenting. I took one small section and rubbed it with a coating of honey prior to placing on the WSM. It added a nice hint of sweetness and think I will definitely add that as part of the recipe next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back