Saint Louis Folks - Where do you get your wood?

Dustin_J

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get my new WSM up and rolling and was wondering if any of you St. Louis folks have suggestions on where to get wood. I picked up a bag of hickory chunks from Home Depot, but I don't want to use just hickory b/c it's pretty powerful to my tastes. I'd really like to be able to find some nice fruit wood chunks (apple, cherry, etc...), but I haven't had much luck so far. I'm fairly new to the area as well, so I don't really even know where to start looking other than hardware stores, groceries, etc...

Oh, Also I need to mention that I live in the city, just east of Forest Park, so if there is anyplace that isn't way out in the suburbs, that'd be even better. Thanks everyone
icon_smile.gif

A couple of thoughts. Call a local firewood guy. They either have what you want or know where you can get it.

If you are getting oversmoked you may want to back off on the wood a little. You also might want to try some oak. Oak doesn't seem to be as strong as hickory.

Not the cheapest or the closest, but they'll have anything you're looking for. Any cut, size, or flavor. They have it all.

Smoke N Fire
636-256-6564
15053 Manchester Road
Ballwin, MO. 63011

As Rick said Smoke N Fire has everything you need. There is also a few places at Soulard Market that has pieces of fruit wood by the pound. If you need some apple,cherry or pecan next spring,I have some drying at our lake house that I'll be bringing back to Chesterfield...just let me know
icon_smile.gif

Great, thanks for the info guys, and for the offer Dale
icon_smile.gif
I'll check out Smoke N Fire and see what I think. I probably won't go through a ton of wood, so if the prices are a bit high I won't lose any sleep over it.

Rick hit it on the head. Picked up a nice box of apple there just before Thanksgiving. It was about a cubic foot for around $5 I think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Wene:
By the way Dustin, I just checked out a previous post of yours. Do you brew?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I do, but I'm in a bit of a dry spell now as I'm completely starting from scratch building a new single-tier system. I have all of the stuff for it, but just not a lot of spare time to put it all together...especially now that I have a smoker to play with
icon_biggrin.gif

I just re-read your original post and apparently missed the bottom portion the first time.
Dale has a good tip, and considering your location it may be a good source. Soulard market sometimes has fruit wood. You'll mostly see hickory there but sometimes you will run across fruit. Plus Soulard market is just a cool place to shop if you're into cooking and it's close to you. Head down there Saturday morning and knock yourself out. Take plenty of $1 bills as it's much easier to give exact change and most things are priced to the even $.

This isn't real close to you but they have a good assortment of Q wood. They are also easy to deal with.

Chigger Creek Products, Syracuse, Mo

chiggercreekproducts.net

Back