Safeway charcoal

Glenn J

TVWBB Fan
I had planned to pick up some old style Kingsford, but only the new Kingsford was available. Then I noticed that Safeway briquettes seemed to be similar (at least in appearance) to the old Kingsford.

Since Kingsford changed, I have not bought it. I have used mesquite lump for grilling, but I prefer to use briquetts and oak chunks for low and slow cooking.

Has anyone used Safeway briquettes? How does it preform compared to the original Kingsford?

The package says "made in China" but little esle about briquette composition. It was cheaper than the new Kingsford too.

Glenn

Glenn,
I haven't used the Safeway brand charcoal. But I'm curious, why haven't you tried the new Kingsford? Other than it lighting a bit faster I haven't been able to tell one bit of difference between the new and the old Kingsford. I've used it for grilling and for numerous overnight cooks with not a bit of difference in taste, burn time, etc. I'm just curious, not disagreeing.

I can't speak to Safeway charcoal but I've used lots of 'no-name' (Loblaws grocery chain) briquettes with good results. It didn't last quite as long as Kingsford and seemed to produce more ash but I'd say it was a better value dollars to pound of charcoal. I wouldn't be afraid to try the Safeway product if it was a good price.

Kingsford is about $0.70/lb here regular retail, I can get the 'no-name' stuff at $0.30/lb.

Larry,

Yours is a reasonable question. This is the first opinion I have seen about the similarities between new and old Kingsford. I will admit I have not done a huge amount of research.

First off I would like to avoid using lump for over night cooks. I don't have a guru and to me, the old Kingsford burns at a more constant and predictable rate possibly due to the inconsistent size of the lump I use. I could be wrong cause I have never used just lump on an overnight cook...

As far as being unwilling to try the new Kingsford, it starts with "burns longer and hotter". I don't understand how both at the same time are possible. Next, it seems with the new Kingsford, you are getting less charcoal for the same price. Plus, others have said that the same amount of new Kingsford does not last as long as the old stuff. I don't want to wake up and find my fire has gone out because I ran out of fuel. Good value in terms of price per pound is important to me too so I need a local source.

All these things have prompted me to look at alternatives to new Kingsford i.e. Safeway charcoal. I have not found Duraflame hardwood briquets locally, but would use them if I could. I can't help but think that the marketing folks at Kingsford are having too big an impact on the entire operation.

Has anyone else noticed little or no difference between the new and old Kingsford (other than it lights faster? If so, I guess I will have to reconsider.

Glenn

Glenn,

Almost 20 years ago, when I was just starting out with my Red Kettle, I bounced around from Kingsford to "what ever's on sale." What I discovered is that while the store brands were cheaper, they consistently produced less heat and burned up quicker. I also experienced an occassional lighting problem as well.

I'm still working on my stash of the "original flavor" Kingsford, so I can't comment on differences between old/new. I suspect, however, that much of the angst and apprehension with the New Kingsford is overblown. Chris will be reporting his findings from his meeting with the kind folks at Kingsford, so I'd be looking for that sometime soon.

From what I understand, if you're looking for something similar to the Original Kingsford, Royal Oak Briquettes are what you'd be looking for. The only place where I know Royal Oak is readily available in our neighborhood is Walmart. They also sell Royal Oak Lump, which doesn't produce nearly the amount of fireworks that you get with mesquite.

I saw some Duraflame Briqs at Home Depot, but they were small bags and "Race Day" buckets only, and like I mentioned earlier, I'm still working on my reserves.

Hope this helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn J:
Larry,

Yours is a reasonable question. This is the first opinion I have seen about the similarities between new and old Kingsford. I will admit I have not done a huge amount of research.

First off I would like to avoid using lump for over night cooks. I don't have a guru and to me, the old Kingsford burns at a more constant and predictable rate possibly due to the inconsistent size of the lump I use. I could be wrong cause I have never used just lump on an overnight cook...

As far as being unwilling to try the new Kingsford, it starts with "burns longer and hotter". I don't understand how both at the same time are possible. Next, it seems with the new Kingsford, you are getting less charcoal for the same price. Plus, others have said that the same amount of new Kingsford does not last as long as the old stuff. I don't want to wake up and find my fire has gone out because I ran out of fuel. Good value in terms of price per pound is important to me too so I need a local source.

All these things have prompted me to look at alternatives to new Kingsford i.e. Safeway charcoal. I have not found Duraflame hardwood briquets locally, but would use them if I could. I can't help but think that the marketing folks at Kingsford are having too big an impact on the entire operation.

Has anyone else noticed little or no difference between the new and old Kingsford (other than it lights faster? If so, I guess I will have to reconsider.

Glenn </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenn,
As far as the "Burns Hotter" statement goes, the same is true for Lump or any fuel source you use...........Only as long as you let it burn hotter. If you control your temps as they rise you will not have a problem. The only way to get your true opinion of the new Kingsford is to give it a couple tries.

Back