S320... different wheels?

Andrew NJ

Hi all,

I'm "rebuilding" (really, cleaning up and replacing some parts) on my E320.

Put a new igniter and a metal braided gas hose on today (squirrels were eating through my other one, even with the metal coil protector).

Anyway - all 4 wheels are shot from dragging it across decking for 12 years. I'd like to replace them with larger wheels, but unsure of the casters' post specs.

Does anyone know these details, or have a recommendation for larger replacement wheels?

thanks

Andrew:
Do your casters have flat spots or just not turning? The casters can be separated from the plug that goes into the frame. I found mine get loaded up with crud after a year or two. I'd try taking them off the grill and soaking them in warm soap and water and spin them until things loosen back up. Amazing what comes out of what looks like a good caster. Other members may know of larger casters that may insert into the existing plugs, but I haven't tried to do that. You may end up just replacing them with OEM casters from any number of sources.

Morning Dan - thanks for the note.

Well... I recall seeing a few pieces come off over the years :O but the wheels' performance has degraded to the point where I just have to drag it, basically, though I don't move it extensively. As noted, I believe that rolling the unit across wood decking gaps for years may have done them in.

I will take a closer look at the wheels - I can't help but notice the new units have a set of LARGE wheels at one end.... ;)

Andrew:
Do your casters have flat spots or just not turning? The casters can be separated from the plug that goes into the frame. I found mine get loaded up with crud after a year or two. I'd try taking them off the grill and soaking them in warm soap and water and spin them until things loosen back up. Amazing what comes out of what looks like a good caster. Other members may know of larger casters that may insert into the existing plugs, but I haven't tried to do that. You may end up just replacing them with OEM casters from any number of sources.

Morning Dan - thanks for the note.

Well... I recall seeing a few pieces come off over the years :O but the wheels' performance has degraded to the point where I just have to drag it, basically, though I don't move it extensively. As noted, I believe that rolling the unit across wood decking gaps for years may have done them in.

I will take a closer look at the wheels - I can't help but notice the new units have a set of LARGE wheels at one end.... ;)

Weber switched back to the design of the older Genesis grills. Having a straight axle with bigger wheels on one side and casters on the other.
If you really wanted that style you could do that with your grill.

Just buy an axle (smooth rod), drill holes in your frame legs to slide the rod through, Add some spacers or washers to reduce friction, put on wheels and hammer on the wheel caps. Then pick your best two casters and put those on the other side.

Weber switched back to the design of the older Genesis grills. Having a straight axle with bigger wheels on one side and casters on the other.
If you really wanted that style you could do that with your grill.

Just buy an axle (smooth rod), drill holes in your frame legs to slide the rod through, Add some spacers or washers to reduce friction, put on wheels and hammer on the wheel caps. Then pick your best two casters and put those on the other side.

Kyle, I don’t think that will work on a S320 because you could not open the door on one side.

Andrew, I have seen where the steel axle on the caster has rusted and swelled so that it will not spin in the hole it goes through. I have tried soaking it repeatedly with PB blaster with no success. I ended up buying new casters but made sure I sprayed the axles with lithium grease to prevent them from rusting again. I am hoping it works.

I bought four rubber locking casters from Lowe's this past weekend for my 330 and found a piece of hardware that matched the stem threads. Took the old casters off and separated from the insert that slides into the cabinet. Used a mallet and some loctite to sink the female nut into the insert then screwed the casters in. Worked like a charm and the wheels are much smoother and better yet much cheaper than OEM

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll admit that I didn't really ever think about buying BBQ wheels as being something exciting, but hey.

Thanks for all the replies!

I'll admit that I didn't really ever think about buying BBQ wheels as being something exciting, but hey.
Don't feel bad Andrew, with the COVID-19 I'm not going out if at all if possible I can see where BBQ wheels could be exciting. As an example I got so bored I restored an old vacuum cleaner I had laying around just for something to do.
Even the dogs won't talk to me anymore.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad Andrew, with the COVID-19 I'm not going out if at all if possible I can see where BBQ wheels could be exciting. As an example I got so bored I restore an old vacuum cleaner I had laying around just for something to do.
lol

Don't feel bad Andrew, with the COVID-19 I'm not going out if at all if possible I can see where BBQ wheels could be exciting. As an example I got so bored I restore an old vacuum cleaner I had laying around just for something to do.
My dog won't leave me alone. He follows me everywhere. If I stop suddenly he runs into me.

Ed, your dog has Covid-19
If he has it then I have it for sure. He's the first thing I see in the morning. If he hears me or thinks I'm awake, he jumps on me so I can pet him, but I have to be careful because he invariably sneezes.

A covid infected dog that sneezes in your face......bad, very bad.
t0sG1c6.jpg

He's 10.5 years old and it's been that way since he was a puppy so I've learned to keep his head pointed away to avoid the morning shower. He's strictly an inside dog, and what I particularly enjoy is that generally, he sits with my wife on the love seat, and when I walk by I can hear his feet hit the floor behind me...but if I stop before he jumps down and pet him, he gets confused and doesn't know whether to go back with the wife or follow me.

All my life we've owned Dobermans, German Shepherds and Short-haired Pointers, big dogs, working dogs. We have two "foo-foo" dogs now, Yorkies, non-working dogs, but they were bred for companionship, so that's what you get. The other Yorkie is a mix, I think, but he is a terrier and quite the hunter. He brought up a mouse to the back door the other day (actually, it was half a mouse). I trapped a rat that was getting into my orange tree a couple of years ago and put the trap in a bucket of water while I showered and got ready for work. Somehow that dog got that rat out of the trap and brought it up to the back door.

He's a nose with a dog attached.

LOL, my son had one of those type dogs. I dont remember the breed, but it would go out to my back yard and within a half hour would come back with a mole. He would wait to hear one digging near the surface, then pounce and dig it out of the ground and bring it back to us.. I need that dog badly right now.

Back