S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used 3/4 Reg Kingsford and 1/4 lump on top with 3 pecan chunks. And I did Minion as well. This little smoker is gonna be a blast.
icon_razz.gif

Thats exactly what I have been using.but can't get a real long smoke without adding more charcoal.
Do you have the sjg or sjs ?
How did you modify your pot ?

Glen, using Stubbs briquettes and 2 chunks of pecan, my longest smoke to date (before needing to add some more coals) has been around 9.5 hours. I think of you give Stubbs a try, you'll never go back to K-blue. It seems to burn hotter, longer, and with less ash build up. I believe if I were to load the charcoal bowl tight, a 10 hour+ burn is not out of the question.
Tim
Mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I keep hearing about the Stubbs briqs.I've got a few bags of Kblue left and then I'm gonna try me some of that Stubbs.If I don't stay away from lowes I might break down and buy a bag .lol
Love that avatar !!!

I gave away my last bag of blue so I wouldn't waste it. I go through about 3 - 4 bags of stubbs a month.

I am done trying other charcoals, its stubbs or nothing for me...

Originally posted by glen jones:
Thats exactly what I have been using.but can't get a real long smoke without adding more charcoal.
Do you have the sjg or sjs ?
How did you modify your pot ?
I use my gold for the smoker. I just snipped the bottom out of the pot, leaving 1/2 inch edge. I am attempting a pork butt wed. I will post back with results.

I have spares on now... can't wait until 6pm.

I won't touch the setup for the next 4 hours and when I pull the ribs they will pretty much be done.

you guys are givimg mre the fever! I felt guily having only used my mini for the last several months, so for my last few cooks, I pulled out thw 18.5 WSM. (She ran like a champ, and I love using her)But I think its time to wipe the dust off the mini and let it do its thing! Can anyone say "pulled Pork"!! I think I am gonna really pack the Stubbs in tight (try and load each piece one at a time, not just pour it in) and see how long I can get at 225*! You know, all for the name of....sceince!
icon_wink.gif

Good luck to all,
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Well, after dragging myself through all 34 pages of this thread, literally reading every one of them, I guess i am ready. Have an SJS that is barely used and free (traded miles for it), an Imusa pot that was $20 at Target, and 4 Weber vent plates on their way. The pot fits fine with a few plier tugs for ther SJ top to fit on perfectly.
My plan is this..I want to build this from the ground up. I would like to get a full chimney of "whatever" in it. I would like two cooking grates. I would like a long burn time. I did my first comp a couple of weeks ago and took a 1st in ribs and want to do some more comps, low key backyard variety. I want my 22.5 WSM for ribs and brisket, kettles for chicken and I want two of these puppies for butt.
I am going to use 2 of the vent plates because I think that should be enough air.
Somewhere back in this thread someone posted pics of using an SJ bottom as a top for a WSM style replica..I don't recall a follow up post on how that worked. Anyone try that??
I will try to keep this post current as I progress but it will take awhile for it all to happen.
To all of you that have done this mod and posted...you have created an incredibly dynamic post here.

Started prepping my ribs at noon. I had them in the smoker by 1:30 and by 7:15 they were ready. Wife surprised me with last minute request for grilled veggies. No problem, after a quick stir of the coals I had enough fire left over to grill some veggies. If all you need to do is smoke for a family this little thing is tighter than the brinkman, cost less than the WSM and smokes two butts, 36 wings, two chickens, 3 racks of baby backs, and two racks of spares. The economy of the fuel is an added bonus. I would build two of these vs getting a single 18" and would come out ahead...

Ahh… 7:15 and the ribs are ready… top level.

IMAG0123.jpg

Second level… notice how much more done the ribs are as I go deeper into the smoker. I try to put the heaviest ribs at the bottom.

IMAG0125.jpg

The bottom layer (that makes three)

IMAG0126.jpg

Here they are off the smoker, after being covered with aluminum foil. They seemed to become juicer...

IMAG0134.jpg

Bathed in sweat apple/cherry and oak woods.

IMAG0144.jpg

This is why I don't like Kingsford. Look at all that ash. It actually smothers the fire. Its why I am going back to stubs. (a half bag and I am done with this stuff forever).

IMAG0132.jpg

After the stiring the coals I am now ready to grill. I have added NO charcoal to this

IMAG0139.jpg

Grilled VEGGIES all on the same fire. Can you do that with your big boy smoker?? The beautiful thing is I could sauce my ribs with this same fire.

IMAG0136.jpg

Originally posted by John Frailey:
Well, after dragging myself through all 34 pages of this thread, literally reading every one of them, I guess i am ready. Have an SJS that is barely used and free (traded miles for it), an Imusa pot that was $20 at Target, and 4 Weber vent plates on their way. The pot fits fine with a few plier tugs for ther SJ top to fit on perfectly.
My plan is this..I want to build this from the ground up. I would like to get a full chimney of "whatever" in it. I would like two cooking grates. I would like a long burn time. I did my first comp a couple of weeks ago and took a 1st in ribs and want to do some more comps, low key backyard variety. I want my 22.5 WSM for ribs and brisket, kettles for chicken and I want two of these puppies for butt.
I am going to use 2 of the vent plates because I think that should be enough air.
Somewhere back in this thread someone posted pics of using an SJ bottom as a top for a WSM style replica..I don't recall a follow up post on how that worked. Anyone try that??
I will try to keep this post current as I progress but it will take awhile for it all to happen.
To all of you that have done this mod and posted...you have created an incredibly dynamic post here.

John: I built two Mini Bullets using the SJS bottom as the top. Photos on Page 22. One has a 6.5" barrel with one rack, the other is about 10" tall with two racks. It works fine, but does involve sacrificing an SJS and some additional work. I suppose that you could also use a Gold bottom for the top, which might be better since the handle could be mounted closer to the lid since the vents would be on the side. The advantage to the Mini Bullet is that you will get about 2.5" additional clearance on the top and can mount the top rack on the very top rim. It is necessary to cut the crimp off the steamer top, and I removed the handles so the SJS bottom will slide down over the top. It is a perfect fit. The only way I could find to cut the crimp off the steamer was by using an angle grinder with a thin abrasive wheel.

Since I started the thread, I am surprised at the interest and suspect that hundreds of Minis have been built, I have built 5, including one that I shipped to my youngest son who goes to college in in Santa Barbara. If you want additional photos of the Bullet, send me a personal email.

JHunter.....Man thats some fine looking groceries.I was trying to wait for a little cooler weather,been over 100 degrees for the last few days here in south Alabama.I may try a overnighter !!!
Thats the problem I'm having with the Kingsford,lots of ash,can't wait o try the Stubbs.
It is amazing how much these little rascals will hold.

About to try my first overnighter with the mini smoker. 8# pork butt should be on by midnite. I'll post back tomorrow w/ pix.

Good luck Mikey! I hope your as happy with your mini as I am with mine. These little things are just the perfect size for smoking 1 or 2 butts, of 2 or 3 racks of ribs.
Looking forward to seeing some pics!
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
These little things are just the perfect size for smoking 1 or 2 butts, of 2 or 3 racks of ribs.
Or a 7 lb brisket cut in half (top and bottom.)

Ok I've got everything I need to make the Mini. I using a SJG with clay pot and three racks. My only question here is whether to cut the bottom out or just drill holes. I would like to hear from some of you Brethren's which you prefer and why.

Thanks
Milford

Different strokes for different folks. But I would drill the holes first and see if you like it. (I didn't as it dirty and limits how much charcoal you can put in). If you don't like it, you can always cut the rest away and make the big hole. (My preference because its simple and clean.

Originally posted by M Plaines:
Ok I've got everything I need to make the Mini. I using a SJG with clay pot and three racks. My only question here is whether to cut the bottom out or just drill holes. I would like to hear from some of you Brethren's which you prefer and why.

Thanks
Milford

I drilled mine and am very happy with it.I use a 12 inch aluminum pizza pan that I cover with foil.
Like JHUNTER says....different strokes ....
Whatever you do ,when you finish you will have a fine little smokin machine.

Originally posted by M Plaines:

Thanks
Milford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back