Full Load in my 8 inch ring:
FullLoad.jpg

Puffing Away:
SmokeytJoe.jpg

Smokey Joe!
PuffingAway.jpg

Rock Solid at 250 after 20 minutes:
SteadyAt250.jpg

After an hour or so now, steady at 250 degrees, and the highest temp on the outside of the smoker has been 239 right above the foiled pan/ clay saucer. No odor wahatsoever, and I am awaiting Rhonda to get off work and bring home the 2 chubs of Jimmy Dean. So far, everything is perfect.

Welcome Alan....that little rascal is looking good.Can't wait to see some pics of some meat.
Alan is there a reason you made your charcoal basket 8 inches and not 12 inches?Does the basket come above the rim?

Thanks

Originally posted by glen jones:
Welcome Alan....that little rascal is looking good.Can't wait to see some pics of some meat.
Alan is there a reason you made your charcoal basket 8 inches and not 12 inches?Does the basket come above the rim?

Thanks

Glenn, the bottom charcoal grate is only 10 1/2 inches itself. I made the basket 8 inches in diameter, and 5 inches tall. This gives great airflow around the coals, and the top although above the rim, is still beneath the bottom of the cooking grate that I have on the "ridge" to hold the Folied 8 quart SS bowl and 6 inch clay saucer inside. I am using this for small cooks such as single meals, and will only use a single grate for actual cooking. I put that 3 1/2 inches down from the rim, amd used four 1/4-20 SS screws that are 1/2 inch long with 1/4 inch ss lock washers and 1/4-20 ss cap nuts on the inside to hold the grate. The thermometer is just below grate level.

On my first cook today, the big themometer is steady at 250, while my digital thermometer at the actual meat level is reading around 230. This thing is very stable with just using the dampers and the clay saucer method. When I put the sausage chubs on, it came right back to temp in less that 2 minutes. I will post some more pics shortly.

BTW, I lifted the center section to add a hunk of apple for smoking the sausage, and the paint is perfect.....no problems. This experiment definitely will work if the proper products are used, and the directions are followed. The dampers work smooth and efficient as well. While all this was going on today, I painted a vent handle from my Performer score to match. I will install it when I finish this cook, and things cool down. So far, nothing more than 239 on the outside for temps, and the ambient has dropped from 80 to 68.

I am grinning from ear to ear over this success.

OK, some pics

The Chubs go on:
TheChubs.jpg

Puff, puff:
PuffPuff.jpg

Just a cookin':
Cooking.jpg

OK, it's been a hour and a half, and the meat is up to 140 degrees. Can't resist the temptation to peek......

AHourAndAHalf140.jpg

Chubs are done, ready to rest:
Donereadytorest.jpg

On go some cut up links:
Onwithsomecutlinks.jpg

You are right about the grate 10.5 inches,don't know what I was thinking.We are retired empty nesters and since I got mine built thats all I use for smoking mostly.I have even smoked 2 butts at a time.
I really like that color on yours.Thats a nice looking cook there.Do you use water in your ss bowl.

On the water, no. I just foil the pan, and use a 6 inch clay saucer also foiled. Since this was my first rodeo on this little gem, I was looking some baseline info. The temp was steady at 250 for more than 7 hours on just one load in my coal ring. I also found that with the relatively small area in the smoker itself, the clay saucer stabilized the temps extremely well. When I would take the lid off to peek, it would come back to temp almost immediately.

The clean up was simple, and everything held up wonderfully. I couldn't be any happier with this build. Once again, I want to thank everyone that has so graciously posted their info on their own builds. These things are definitely the bomb for single meal cooks.

I sincerely hope that some of this information is helpful to others who dare to undertake a project such as this. Outside of the box can work if the principles are sound.

Originally posted by ashish debroy:
Which gasket did you buy from Amazon? There are different ones available for different cookers (BGE, Primo). Also, what adhesive did you use?
I bought the cheapest I could find with a self-adhesive backing on eBay ($14 free ship). The one I bought was for a Big Green Egg mini. Cut it in half lengthwise it looks to be enough for probably four WSM minis.

Maybe it wasn't needed but it does seat the center section more securely. So far so good.

I just got my SJS and IMUSA pot (Both ship to store from Walmart) and plan on adding an intake for my Auber blower. Any suggestions how high in relation to the charcoal grate level to cut the hole?

I already have the Auber and had easier access to a Silver than Gold, so I figured I'd just go ahead and use it. Below the charcoal line would put it in the ash zone.

Originally posted by george curtis:
no idea but aren't most below the charcoal line ? to be honest i see no need for that on these mini's.

George, you are 100% correct....there is no need for a temperature controller on the Mini smoker. I used a SJG and never have a problem with controlling the temps. I did make a 8 inch round by 5 inch deep charcoal ring. I can get an easy 6 hours with just a folied pan, and 5 hours or more if using a clay saucer as well. I have cooked at 225, 250, 275, and 300 degrees with no problems with fluctuation as long as you bring the temp up to where you want it instead of getting it too hot and trying to cool it off.

I would have to agree, Adding a blower is not really needed, but if you want to, go ahead. But the best part of these little smokers is their pick up and go..anytime anywhere portability. I don't know if you would still have that if you wire it up. As others have said, 6/8 hours (holding a steady temp)is pretty much the norm with these little smokers. My longest is right at 10 hours @230! Let us know what you decide, and how it turns out.
Good luck either way,
Tim
Mini
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks for the opinions on the blower...I got the same input when i bought it for my UDS, but I'm a gadget nut. I haven't seen anyone else using one, so I'll report in when I get it going.

How about the intake location? I'd like to put it in the best possible place since I'll be cutting a hole for it. Any thoughts?

Mike

Originally posted by Michael Werner:
Thanks for the opinions on the blower...I got the same input when i bought it for my UDS, but I'm a gadget nut. I haven't seen anyone else using one, so I'll report in when I get it going.

How about the intake location? I'd like to put it in the best possible place since I'll be cutting a hole for it. Any thoughts?

Mike

Mike, I would try to place it as high up on the bottom bowl as possible.......simular to the vents on the SJG. I would be very concerned about forced air in the ash area, as that could prove to be a disaster should that fly ash get blown around enough to land on your cook. JMO.

OK Guys, I have a couple of quick questions.
First my setup,
Base = SJG.
Center = Imusa Tamale Steamer W/drilled bottom and either a 9" or 12.25" Terra-cotta base for diffuser.
Lid = Inverted SJS base.
Questions:
1.Should I use the Charcoal rack or just lay the coals directly on the bottom?
2.How should I setup my charcoal? Banked or in a pile?
3.Should I just cut out the remainder of the bottom and make a Charcoal ring?
I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks

Originally posted by Alan Cleland:
The parts were then oven baked at 200 degrees for 2 hours to dry and heat cure.
The heat treating does 2 things, it drives all of the solvents out, and it makes the paint and coatings "flow out" to a slick and smooth finish. QUOTE]

Alan, Do you think I could use my home oven for this process or will the fumes permeate into my oven rendering it unusable for cooking, and me Single and Homeless at the same time?
Thanks

Mac:
1. Either is OK, I use a charcoal basket made of expanded metal as I usually use lump.
2. Just piling it on top of the grate is fine.
3. Try a few smokes with it set as is, modify if it is not getting hot enough. You might also want to install the bottom vents made for the WSM on the bottom sides of the gold base. I have two rigs, one is a gold with the SJS base for the top, while the other is a SJS with s tamale barrel, with the bottom cut out. Both are two level, that is I use two racks for cooking. Both work great, but the SJS gets hotter.

If you have not already done so, in using the SJS for the top, you will have to cut the rim of the tamale kettle off, so the SJS base will slip over the top of the barrel. You will also have to remove the handles and install new ones on the side. I have done three mods this way, so if you have trouble, send me a personal email.

Originally posted by Mac McClure:
The parts were then oven baked at 200 degrees for 2 hours to dry and heat cure.
The heat treating does 2 things, it drives all of the solvents out, and it makes the paint and coatings "flow out" to a slick and smooth finish. QUOTE]

That is what I did, and I turned on my kitchen exhaust fan while curing. There was some odor, but no residual odors in the oven. BTW, I kept the oven door partially open during the process......worked like a charm.

Alan, Do you think I could use my home oven for this process or will the fumes permeate into my oven rendering it unusable for cooking, and me Single and Homeless at the same time?
Thanks

Originally posted by LDean:
Mac: If you have not already done so, in using the SJS for the top, you will have to cut the rim of the tamale kettle off, so the SJS base will slip over the top of the barrel. You will also have to remove the handles and install new ones on the side. I have done three mods this way, so if you have trouble, send me a personal email.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I didn't want remove the rim so I made up 4 Tabs to hold the lid in place. These with some Gasket material from a BGE hold the lid in place with a good seal. Here's some pic's.

One of the 4 Tabs.
DSCN3651.JPG

The Gasket.
DSCN3653.JPG

The Lid on.
DSCN3652.JPG

That is what I did, and I turned on my kitchen exhaust fan while curing. There was some odor, but no residual odors in the oven. BTW, I kept the oven door partially open during the process......worked like a charm.
Thanks, I'd hate to ruin my wifes famous "Oatmeal, Raisin, Pecan" cookies.
icon_wink.gif

Mac:
Never thought about installing the SJS base that way, what ever works is great. I recently made a mini shorty, with a 5.5"barrel, made of roof flashing, using the SJS base as the top. Will use it for my camping rig, since it takes so little space, uses very little charcoal. Let us now how your rig works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back