Rusted out drip tray rail removal and replacement

Barry S in NY

pulled apart my 22 yr old 1000, and need to remove the rusted screws from the fire box. can't seem to find the info on this topic. viewed it before becoming a member, any assistance is gratefully appreciated. thanks in advance

A good penetrating oil applied a few times over a day or two is about the only way to get them out. You could try applying heat with a propane torch as well.
But, if they don't come out that way, you are relegated to twisting the screws off and drilling them out.

If you have a MAPP gas torch, heat up the firebox around the screws (not the screws themselves), and depending on the condition of the screw heads, use either a 6-point socket or vice-grips to remove.

Did mine two weeks ago. A shot of WD and let it sit a week. Vice Grips on the head brought every one of them out of mine, quite surprisingly.

I use PB Blaster, repeated shots of it, and soak a day or two. I coax the screws w some heat and then clamp on the Vice Grips as tight as I can and gently rock back and forth back and forth until she lets go. Never had to drill. Yet.

I use PB Blaster, repeated shots of it, and soak a day or two. I coax the screws w some heat and then clamp on the Vice Grips as tight as I can and gently rock back and forth back and forth until she lets go. Never had to drill. Yet.

I used PB, let it soak, only to have the bolt fail and twist in half anyways. After that I ended up drilling it which was easy. Started small and went all the way through the bold using patience and then worked my way up to bigger bits until it was done. I had sprayed the PB on the inside and outside of the cookbox. Now I had a toxic mess inside the cookbox. I scrubbed it with Dawn a million times but I said no more PB ever. Now I purposely snap it and drill it. Once you drill it one time it really is not that bad. Better than eating PB Blaster, WD40, or whatever.

i've tried PB blaster, propane torch, vise grips etc. the penetrating oil isn't getting down to the threads as the old drip tray piece is stuck under the screw head. i might get ahold of the smallest easy out bolt extractor or just drill and tap the hole. thanks

Back