rusted charcoal ring

Craig Mayfield

May be a dumb question, but I just realized in pulling out the WSM for the summer that the charcoal grate got left outside over the winter -- badly rusted. I'll order a new one, but while waiting to arrive, should I be concerned about using a rusted charcoal ring? Now the cooking grates would be a different story, I know, but is there concern with using a rusted charcoal grate?

I thought they came pre-rusted from the factory!
icon_wink.gif
I've had the same charcoal grate in my kettle for 10 years now, it's totally covered with rust and I think it got that way after the first cook. I wouldn't worry about it.

Craig, if you don't have two already get the second. Nice to use two at the same time with one turned so that the crossbars are perpendicular to the first forming a sort of screen/small square holes pattern. Nice when you are using lump to keep smaller pieces from falling through.

I've done this on my Performer and WSM (recommended on the support info location of this site).

Yes, and mine are all rusted and continue to work fine. They are at least 5 years old and still ticking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken_K:
I thought they came pre-rusted from the factory! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously. I have an unused wsm which has been sitting covered on a deck for 8 days, and I've got rust in a few spots. WTH?

Back