Rust question

I have a Genesis special edition grill (3-burner side to side configuration) that is 10-12 years old now. The cabinet has basically rusted through quite badly. I'm looking at replacing it. Are the newer Genesis grills more rust proof or is this still a problem? I keep my grill on my deck and covered when not in use. My choice of covers may not have been the best (hardware store specials at times). Thanks for any inputs.

Hi Chuck, bring a magnet with you to the grill store. Anything the magnet sticks to will rust. The non-magnetic grills start at about $1500

The cabinet models collect moisture and they are made of iron so they will rust. You can try to keep them clean and covered with a light coat of oil to keep the water away.

The cart models seem to hold up better.

I don't use a cover on my grill as it is used daily. I think the covers might trap in moisture.

I'm assuming then, that the cart models are still iron but don't collect the moisture since it isn't "trapped" inside. Thanks for the response.
Hi Chuck, Most cart models are iron. The non-magnetic Stainless or Aluminum cart models are pricey, probably $1500 and up.

End of the day, regardless of the style or material, care and maintenence will assure you get the most life out of your grill.

Chuck:
If you have the two door enclosed base and the rust is mostly confined to the bottom panel, notorious for rusting, you may want to consider refurbishing your grill. However, if the rust is in the frame tubes that hold the casters, that may not be feasible. Parts are still available to the 2007-2010 Genesis Grills both NG and LP.

The rust in worst on the bottom pan but is also on both the side frames and at the bottom of the back. I'll take a look at this option as well. Thanks for the input!

I am afraid this is just the way it is with these 300 series Genesis grills. We haven't had enough time to judge the newer Genesis II models, but I am willing to bet the closed cart models will perform similarly. The only sure way to avoid this is to have a grill made of all stainless or at least aluminum in the cabinetry panels. I have never figured out why Weber wouldn't have used aluminum for at least the bottoms and backs on these grills. The final straw with them is when the frame tubes start rusting through. At that point it is generally not cost-effective to try and repair. Replacements are very pricey. Not sure you can even get them anymore. Without repair your grill winds up like an old pickup on blocks!!!

Rusted Out Weber Genesis.jpg

Rust Genesis on bricks.jpg

I actually have a friend who previously owned a sheet metal shop who made me a very small run of stainless bottoms and backs (which fit both your model and the later one with front controls). I wish I could have had him make more before he sold.

Rear Stainless Piece.jpg

Mounting Clips Treated.jpg

Jon, I wish he could have made a bottom, sides and back for a SS Platinum. That would have been too cool.

Yes, I really wanted to get him to do that! My projects didn't always get traction with him, and he wound up selling out before I could get him to make any of those parts for me. They would be GREAT parts to have in stainless (or even decent aluminum) not only for the Platinum but also the Silver & Gold where the same parts (black instead of gray) also rust out like crazy.

If I ever get moved, I am hoping to find a sheet metal person where I am moving who might be able to do those and other things at a price that is realistic. And then find a sandblasting person and a powder coater and...

Jon:
We planned our move west for just over 6 months and still the last couple of weeks were frenzied. You'll get there sooner rather than later! Keep moving forward..... Hope the real estate transactions go smoothly.

Jon, you are an accountant, I would think that if anyone could turn this into a "business" you could. Seems doable if you could write off all the equipment you would need. Even a truck would be deductible since it is used to pickup and deliver grills.

Jon, you are an accountant, I would think that if anyone could turn this into a "business" you could. Seems doable if you could write off all the equipment you would need. Even a truck would be deductible since it is used to pickup and deliver grills.

That's pretty good tax planning, Bruce! I can depreciate the shop, take a percentage of property taxes, insurance, utilities, write off the snow blower I need so I can stay open and deliver grills in the winter...It's getting better all the time! Of course, I also need some revenue to be able to deduct all these great tax loopholes...:unsure:

This Old Grill.jpg

Don't dismiss the idea Jon. When this Covid thing settles down, I have a feeling there will be some small business incentives going on out there.

I'm going to try and repair what I have as it has been a good grill. I feel that I can salvage the side/rear panels by wire brushing and using some rest reformer and then repainting. I've ordered the bottom panel and the hardware pack for it (6 bolts and associated hardware). We will see how it goes in a few weeks when I have everything I've ordered.

Back