Rust -- New 22.5" WSM

C. Moore

TVWBB Member
Six years ago i bought a new 18.5" WSM that lived its entire life outside in whatever whether there was. It never rusted a single bit. I have now owned a brand new 22.5" for six days and, even though I didn't intend for it to happen, it got a litte rain on it this past Thursday night. It seems like I am seeing a little bit of rust around the ring where the lid meets and rests on the main body.

Has anyone else noticed this? Besides keeping it out of the weather, what have you done that you know can cure this?

Can't imagine the porcelain enamel ever rusting after just one rain. Maybe Weber missed a spot?

Tim

i'd keep an eye on it for a few more days/weeks and also take a few pictures of what is going on and then contact weber customer service. they are very good about replacing faulty products and should take care of the problem if you should happen to have a piece that is rusting.
i have attached a picture of my weber kettle as it sits right now on my patio. have had it for 8 years now and have always kept it outside without covering it and have no signs of rust. as you can see, it looks just as good now as the day i bought it. sort of feel bad for "mistreating" it over these years, but it has been real good to me. i baby my WSM's and my gassers though, i bring them in for the winter and use the kettle in winter.

407276_10150610711464920_747289919_8804333_2018512524_n.jpg

i've noticed that on almost all webers, there is very little porcelain on the edges. seems there is always rust there. if its not chipped then just sand lightly and oil that spot.

When I got my WSM eons ago, the bottom edge of the dome top had a chip in the enamel. So or course Weber sent me a new one.

Well, no way I was waiting a week or two for the new dome to get here before using the WSM. Spritzed a little high temp grill paint on the chipped area and after it got a coating of smoke and cooking grease never noticed it again.

8 years later, the "chipped" dome is still on the WSM and the replacement is still new in the box in the basement.

Point, is once you smoke a few times, I don't think it matters in that area.

i left mine outside once and thought it had rusted as well.But I did a search on here and found out sometimes smoke will stick to the unit and give it a rusty looking color.Try rubbing it off with a damp towel and see what happens.It's worth a shot right?

Back