Rust color residue in WSM after a cook!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
Wondered if n e one else had ever noticed a rusty color residue inside middle section of WSM after a cook. Its in the lid as well. I been wiping it out each time. What is causing this? Is it the moisture from the water pan?

I think its smoke residue. Your WSM is porcelain coated so the only place you will get rust is if there is a chip in the porcelain and that will be very localized.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Warren:
[qb] Wondered if n e one else had ever noticed a rusty color residue inside middle section of WSM after a cook. Its in the lid as well. I been wiping it out each time. What is causing this? Is it the moisture from the water pan? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Smoke particles and water vapor-- but it's usually more pronounced on the underside of the lid, where it eventually starts flaking off. The soot that builds up over time on the inside of the WSM is, as Martha says, "a good thing". Wipe or brush it lightly to remove the flakiness, but that buildup is desirable for temperature control.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Warren:
[qb] Wondered if n e one else had ever noticed a rusty color residue inside middle section of WSM after a cook. Its in the lid as well.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's already been answered above, but see the FAQ page for a photo.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back