Rust and a Dent

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Hi,
I've found a small dent and a scratch that has a little rust in it on my beloved WSM! I almost cried. ;-)
Both the dent and the scratch are on the middle section near the top. The dent is really close to the top edge.

I'll paint over the scratch with high-temp bbq paint, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the right way to get rid of that dent?

I know I don't have to knock it out, and that there might be a possibility of chipping the porcelain, but I just wanted to start some talk about dealing with dents.

If it's a tiny dent, I wouldn't fret. It's a battle injury ... it adds character. Chances are, even if you take the dent out, there will always be a slight imperfection that will bother you. I'd just remove the rust and use a little high heat paint to prevent any further rust.

Hey Phil,
I probably won't do anything about it.
Have you ever seen the picture of one of Gary Wiviott's WSM"s?
It's got a HUGE dent (about the size of a basketball and about 3 or 4 inches deep) in the lid. Also scarrred and rusty looking.
I think it fell off the vehicle going down the highway.
Apparently it still cooks just fine. ;-)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
Hey Phil,
I probably won't do anything about it.
Have you ever seen the picture of one of Gary Wiviott's WSM"s?
It's got a HUGE dent (about the size of a basketball and about 3 or 4 inches deep) in the lid. Also scarrred and rusty looking.
I think it fell off the vehicle going down the highway.
Apparently it still cooks just fine. ;-) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, yeah it's quite a dent but it sure doesn't seem to affect Gary's 'Q. I asked him about what happened to his lid and he basically responded that it's not a flaw it's a feature:
============= quote from Gary Wiviott =========
Nope, not a bowling ball, an aerospace engineer with a special BBQ ball-peen hammer.

My WSM has been highly customized for perfect air-flow, the testing phase alone represents 50-months of continuous scientific research and 1000-hours of wind tunnel testing.

This particular WSM, in addition to the custom air-flow modification, has dual wireless lighting and temperature control devices. Pictures of which can be view Here

Just a heads up, do not try this at home, modifications were done by a team of highly trained professionals.

Enjoy,
Gary
=======================================
For those of you that have never seen the picture being referenced a copy can be found in this thread: http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1234

Back