Rump Roast Mini-Smoker Experiment

Wayne M

TVWBB Member
My family is out of town right now and on sunday afternoon I decided to smoke an old favorite, your basic rump roast, on my WSM. This way, if it turned out bad, only I would have to eat the results! Well, I should've known better as my WSM only seems to put out great tasting product!
icon_smile.gif
Since I was only doing the one 3.3 pound roast, I decided to experiment further and forego both the water pan and the middle section (both unprecedented in my past experiences) and create a mini-smoker!

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Amazingly. even without the two sections fitting tight together, there was no smoke loss between the top and bottom sections! I rubbed down the roast 4 hours prior and set it in a roast rack (which I use normally use inverted as a rib rack) over an aluminum drip pan. The coals and smoke wood (1 large chunk cherry - too little?) were off on the other side.

I cooked it at about 325 degrees average (It sure heats up without the waterpan and middle section!) I threw on a couple of spuds with 1 hour to go and after 2-1/2 hours (141 degrees internal temp), I took everything off.

After letting it sit for 15 minutes or so, I sliced it up and it looked perfectly rare (for me!) I do think I should've added a bit more smokewood as the smoke ring wasn't thick (1/8" max.) although I did get some smoke flavor. I prepared basic au jus sauce and ate three slices that evening with a mixture of the sauce and some Arby's horsey sauce I had laying around! Essentially, in my mind I ended up with what I call "very poor man's prime rib" for about the cost of one extra value meal! It was great!

P.S. - the rest was gone within 2 days!
icon_biggrin.gif
Also, sorry for the image quality but my wife has the good camera!

Thanks for the link! Those adapter bars do look neat (although I bet I could rig something similar myself for less: $4 per bar seems a bit excessive). Either way, the bars would be a good add-on in case I decide to continue using my WSM as a "mini-smoker".

However, I didn't have any problems with the lid just sitting atop the lower section and considering the top section's weight, I don't think I would've had any problems unless it was used on a very windy day.

Damn! Looks like Rock stole my tab idea. I knew I shoulda' patented it!
icon_smile.gif

They're easy enough to make. The problem with resting the lid on top is that if it's ever bumped or misaligned it will fall off very hard, unlike a kettle where if the lid is askew it just sits there crooked and doesn't always fall off.

I love my WSM too much to let her get a chip in her shiny black coat.
icon_biggrin.gif

Kevin: so how much do you charge for a set of 3 tabs?
icon_smile.gif

Another thought: maybe I could hold the lid down tight with some of those binder clips you always see at Office Depot, etc.

BTW - I did say in my original post that the family was out of town! I, too, would be leery of just sitting the top directly atop the bottom section if my kids were around.
icon_eek.gif

Back