Rubs and Flavor

I'm not a competitor so my frame of reference is a bit different, but Lilly's comments don't seem all that helpful in terms of thinking about rubs. To me the most important thing is how it will all fit together: meat-rub-smoke-braising liquids (if any)-sauces-sides. If you have something in season like raspberries or peaches that you will incorporate into sauces, salads, or deserts--how will you highlight and complement this? At the very least you have to be thinking about the rub and the sauces and how they fit together. What kind of layers of complexity will you get from the way the meat, smoke, rub and sauces will play off each other?

Also, coriander, cumin and esp. garlic and onion powder are so ubiquitous that it doesn't make sense to think of them as "signature" ingredients, even though they are very good components for rubs. Most rubs aren't really going to have a "signature" ingredient unless you go with something exotic like coffee and cocoa powder or something along those lines.

David, I can appreciate your comments and view points.

In football terms, if I'm a high school prospect and Tom Brady offers some wisdom, I'm listening. In BBQ circles, that's the credibility that Chris has.

http://www.101zinfandels.com/101_zinfandels_big_bob_gibson.asp

I've been queing for over 30 years, but I'm sure Chris has forgetten more than I know.

For example, 2,800 pounds of pork shoulders cooked and served over two days in NY. That's amazing.
http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=10498&mode=threaded&pid=10812

The four 1st place finishes in Memphis in May for Pork Butt is also very respectable. Memphis In May is 250+- teams, $60K in prizes, 90K+- attendance.

While I also have my own views on smoke, rubs, sauces, etc. When a pit master like Chris offers some wisdom I'm all ears.

John

I understand what you are saying. Chris Lilly knows more than anyone how to win BBQ contests and how to sell Q to the public. I just wonder if he didn't hold back a bit at this class.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Reyes:

While I also have my own views on smoke, rubs, sauces, etc. When a pit master like Chris offers some wisdom I'm all ears.

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John, I'm with you. If Chris speaks, I listen, kind of like the EF Hutton adds from years gone by.
icon_biggrin.gif
Chris is the man, and has his A game on.
icon_wink.gif

Yes, he had to hold back a little. Big Bob Gibson's BBQ sell their own rubs and sauces under their own label. The exact combos of various spices is propietary and therefore can not be disclosed.

Other than that he is a humble southern guy who I felt didn't hold back at all.

The attendance was about 20-25 separate parties of mostly comp teams with one or two backyard cooks. Most of the teams were from So. Cal, but several were from out of the area. I think the farthest cook/team came from the midwest. My daughter and I drove about 7 hours and spent the night there.

Hard to review here in a short what all was discussed, but I was impressed and learned a lot, not only from Chris but from the other vet cooks as well.

After experiencing my first comp a couple of months back, I have a lot of respect for those that can get into the winners circle. My best was a 13th place finish in ribs. Many of the competitors were in the business (caterers, distributers, etc.).

CA BBQ Assoc. tries to sponsor a pro BBQ cook into town usually twice a year. Once in N. Cal and another in S. Cal.

Some pics are at the bottom of this page:
http://www.cbbqa.org/wiki/index.php?title=CBBQA_Institu..._Lilly_-_Summer_2007

Yes, that's Ray Lampe (DR. BBQ) that also stopped in for a while.

John

Back