Rubbing Your Ribs the Night Before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Walker

TVWBB Member
I have been noticing that most people seem to prefer to apply their rub and let the ribs sit for a few hours at Room Temp before Smoking. Is there any dissadvantage to rubbing the ribs the night before?

Doug W,

I've only done ribs once(so I'm no expert)and I put it on about 1 and 1/2 hours before and they were good. I've read if you do it too soon the ribs taste "hammy". I think Kevin Taylor says it best "experiment". Try one way then next time try another and see which way you like the best.

Bob

I've put rub on ribs the night before. I'm pretty new at this so if they were "hammy", I didn't notice it. Hey - ham is not a bad taste anyway, so what's the risk? Try it. I've done both ways and all have been better than most resturants.

I think an overnight rub for ribs is overkill. A larger piece of meat like a butt is perfect for a longer rub time, but ribs are so thin that the spices (in my opinion) can overpower the meat. Usually salt in the rub is the culprit, thus the hammy taste others report.

Taking that salt thought a step further... if there is no salt in the rub, you'd probabaly be OK. Just keep the amount down to a light sprikle, then add more right before cooking.

Depends on the rub. BRITU rub is too salty to leave on overnight. With most rubs I use I always get ribs ready the night before. I also put them right on the smoker from the fridge. Makes for a better smokring.

I don't know about that, Jason! I see every comp cooker rubbing their ribs the night before. I have done it for years and never had a thing wrong with them.

I do admit I usually always add more salt just before turn-in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Taylor:
[qb] I don't know about that, Jason! I see every comp cooker rubbing their ribs the night before. I have done it for years and never had a thing wrong with them.

I do admit I usually always add more salt just before turn-in. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Stogie, do you use a vinegar rinse on ribs before applying rub?

Jim

Jim...

No. Never used it. I do rinse in water after taking them out of the cryo.

What I DO use is a closely guarded secret....NEVER to be revealed......EVER!

OK, OK...since we're all friends around here. Actually, I think I explained this one a couple years ago on here.

I use a flavored yogurt.....for a couple years I used Dutch Apple and the last couple I used Black Cherry. I use about 1/3 of a container per slab. I then use whatever flavor in my base rub and my mop.

Most rubs can (and should) be applied the night before to increase the rub's penetration into the meat thus enhancing the flavor. There are a few exceptions to every rule and BRITU is most definately one of these exceptions. Look at a bunch of different rub recipes and I doubt you'll find many that contain the amount of salt that the BRITU recipe calls for. It's also the reason that BRITU recommends a light dusting of rub and not the amount one would normally apply.

You can remove the salt from BRITU and apply it just before cooking - but why bother? BRITU is a tried and true recipe that works well the way it was designed - to be applied lightly two hours prior to cooking.

Kevin, that sounds really interisting. Can you be a little more specific about how long you leave the ribs pasted with yogurt and the "whatever flavor" in the base rub? Do you use the yogurt as others use mustard or leave it on for a couple of hours?
Thanks Kevin ~ Sounds like something I'd like to try.

Bill.....

The last couple of years I have used Mary's Cherry Rub....it has a pretty intense cherry flavor and along with a cherry juice mop turns out very good.

Before that I used an apple rub that I got from the Apple City Smokers........

Apple City Ribs Rub

1/4 cup Brown sugar
4 teaspoons Onion powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Dry mustard
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Thyme, dried

This will cover 1 rack of ribs

Yes, I would say the yogurt is much like the mustard....however I add the rub first and then slather on the yogurt......I want that rub onto the meat with no barrier between. I leave it on all night and just before cooking I sprinkle more rub onto the slabs. You will find most of the yogurt sort of disappears throughout the night. Very little left on in the morning.

I personally found that if you do not add any sauce or glaze, the ribs will have the flavor of whatever you used....in my case apple or cherry. BUTTTT, I believe others have tried and mentioned they didn't seem to notice any distinct cherry flavor when using this technique.

Anyway, just another little experiment. I actually only use this technique when competing or serving no more than 4-5 slabs of ribs. When I cater and have to cook 10-20 slabs, I avoid all the extra work!

Thanks Kevin. Just did a search on yogurt (shoulda done that before, huh) and found several threads on the subject. Wonder if I can read them all before the race starts . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I've been applying the dry rub the night before for years. What I've found over time is that you can use less of the rub and it penetrates better. If you are worried about too much salt, it is going to dissolve right away and won't be a factor in the length of time. What you might want to do is find a rub that has less salt to begin with or add less to your own recipe.

This also works very well when smoking turkeys. You break the skin loose from the membrane while trying not to poke a whole in the skin. Then take small handfulls and rub it all over the breast, legs and thighs, under the skin. Allow this to sit overnight and the turkey will be well seasoned throughout. I find it is best to smoke turkeys fairly hot and fast as compared to ribs or pork shoulder. 8-9 hours at 275-300 degrees is about right. I was a sales rep back in the 70's for a company called Smoker Products, that sold the "Mr. Meat Smoker" line. I bet I've smoked over 200 turkeys for in-store demonstations. Sold a lot of smokers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back