rubbing too early? and other questions

dave_k

so I'm going to try and get 8 slabs of ribs on my 18.5" for sunday. I'm working all day tomorrow, and wont have any time to prep and then sunday im starting at 10am. Is there any problem with trimming the ribs up tonight, putting the rub on and letting them sit till sunday morning?

Also, if I can get 8 slabs onto the smoker, i have two rib racks, so thats three slabs on each level, then I figured I can cut another in half and lean it on either side. so four slabs on each level. With that many slabs, how many chunks of apple wood would you go through?

any other tips?

thanks!

Dave

Personally, I would trim tonight and rub before lighting my fire.

For some reason, I like it best if the rub is only on the meat for a couple of hours instead of over night or longer.

Regardless of what you decide to do....To see the difference, pre-rub some of the trimmings and last-minute rub some other trimmings. See if you prefer one over the other.

Trimming and rubbing 8 slabs shouldn't take long. All you are doing is removing the membrane, 10 seconds, cutting off the skirt, 5 seconds and cutting off the breastbone and attached material to get the st louis cut, 10 seconds. Ok, lets say 1 minute per slab, 8 total. Got 8 minutes Sunday morning?
I rub just prior to smoking, so I don't have first hand experience, but some people say if they rub too early, the ribs end up tasting hammy.

"Trimming and rubbing 8 slabs shouldn't take long"

Dave I need some lessons from you, prepping that many ribs would take me at least an hour.

good call. Any idea on the amount of wood? typically I use two-three chunks, but I never do this many.

Most of the smoke goes out the vent. The density of smoke in the cooking chamber and the time at that density determines how smoky the food tastes, whether you have one rack or eight.

In other words, there is no real need for more wood when cooking more food.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carl H.:
Most of the smoke goes out the vent. The density of smoke in the cooking chamber and the time at that density determines how smoky the food tastes, whether you have one rack or eight.

In other words, there is no real need for more wood when cooking more food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, it's what you're cooking, not how much you are cooking. If you like how your ribs come out with 2-3 wood chunks, then use 2-3 wood chunks for your 8 racks.
icon_wink.gif
And as others have said, trim, rub then on to the WSM. I never rub the night before.

You can definitely rub too early if you have a salty rub. I did country style ribs the night before and they turned into ham when I smoked them. Good ham, but not what I was looking for.

good to know. I'm trying out the Three Little Pigs Championship Rub. Seems a bit salty so I'll d it right before. I used to make my own rub, but I have been liking trying a lot of others.

Back