Rub too salty. How to remedy so I can eat these beef ribs?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
I used the Yum Yum rub to smoke some beef ribs. Meat came out tender but the rub is simply too salty for my taste. Not knocking the rub, maybe I even screwed up the ingredients. Regardless I can't stomach the thought of eating them again tonight unless I take the salt down. What to do?

All I can think to do is wash them under running water, then maybe sauce and reheat? I like a steak with salt on it surprised these came out this way.

Rinse the ribs, and place them in a large container filled with cold water over night. Store cold. Then sauce and heat in an oven or microwave.

This is a little offbeat but it worked great for me. I once made 2 racks of beef ribs that were heavily oversalted. Next day I tossed them in a crock pot with water (you can use stock, wine or beer but nothing salted)veggies, herbs etc... to make a stew. Worked out great. We removed the bones before serving over mashed potatoes. The salt rendered and the stew was great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Bauer:
next time leave the salt out of your rub. Salt your meat first and apply your salt free rub after 20 minutes or so it'll save you this trouble in the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with soaking in cold water for an hour or so. You can also toss in a quartered raw potato. Many say it will absorb salt.

Also, as Nathan posts; next time you make a rub; leave out the salt. Wise advice. Salt your meat 1st as you would normally eat it; then add your rub. That way, if you want to increase the rub flavor, you're not upping the salt content.

Paul

Potatoes will absorb salt, but it requiers both time and some heat.

"Salt removal", as in "it makes a difference" takes time. Cold water, and plenty of it, is usually the best way to remove salt. It works faster than potatoes or other root vegetables.

Added for one hour, the difference would be next to nothing.

Potatoes do not absorb salt. There's no science behind this (it's really easy to test this yourself, or here ). Soaking them in water for a time will as will cooking them further in a non-salty liquid, as James notes.

I cooked a pork loin, brined and injected bottom line it came out really salty. I froze it and later defrosted and added to raw, uncooked beans. well I cooked the beans 1st then added meat but didn't add salt. The salt from the meat did fine, in fact I may have added a bit more. I can see how potatoes could work the same. Of course this changes the whole original form of the meat, in your case the ribs. But at least you don't have to throw it away.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">well I cooked the beans 1st then added meat but didn't add salt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Presumably you cooked the beans in water?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">well I cooked the beans 1st then added meat but didn't add salt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Presumably you cooked the beans in water? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and the salt went into the water and the salty water, salted the beans .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
I agree with soaking in cold water for an hour or so. You can also toss in a quartered raw potato. Many say it will absorb salt.

Also, as Nathan posts; next time you make a rub; leave out the salt. Wise advice. Salt your meat 1st as you would normally eat it; then add your rub. That way, if you want to increase the rub flavor, you're not upping the salt content.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it seems obvious, but excellent advice. Thank you.

Rich

Pull the beef off the rib's and braise in water add as needed till salt is controlled. Make some good poboy sandwich'es with the beef.
Yeah and the only way to get rid of something to salty is by rinsing it with water or boiling it.

I ended up rinsing under running tap water while rubbing it a bit with my fingers. Then added a little bbq sauce. That did the trick.

Back