Rub Question

Joseph Flannery

I was wondering, if I grill something like say tri-tip with the same rub I plan on using on Brisket, would the results be the same? The reason I ask is because I cooked a brisket this weekend and wasn't impressed with the rub. I thought that if I did a test grill to see how the rub worked with similar kinds of meat with different cooking styles (smoking vs grilling).

I don't think there's nothing worse than cooking for 11 hours and not being impressed with the results. But that's what practice is for, right?

Your general flavor profile will be the same, although you may see some difference due to the sugar content. The sugar in the rub might caramelize more or burn a bit at higher grilling temperatures whereas the lower smoker temps wouldn't have the same effect. My general finding has been, though, that if I don't like it on grilled meats of a certain type, I won't like it on smoked meats of the same variety.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

It's been my experience that a complex rub loses a lot when subjected to 18hrs of smoke. I use salt, pepper, and some hot chili powder on briskets and other long smokes. Home made rubs can get expensive. At least I think so. I get a large selection of exotic chili powders from a gal in New Mexico to blend with the rubs I make and they are pricey. Keep the spice blends simple on those and the really good rubs I use on grilled meats and even in pan fried dishes and corn on the cob and grilled veggies. D

Back