rub for "seasoned" ribs

Jay S

I've got a bunch of cyro packed ribs that are "seasoned" which I assume to mean brined before packaging. I didn't notice this last time I cooked them and used a normal rub and they were too salty.

So for a rub this time, omit the salt in the rub altogether? Also I've noticed that brined poultry cooks faster. Is that the case with ribs too? I did a 3-2-1 last time and thought they might have been a little overdone. Maybe a 3-1.5-1?

Either way, my 22.5 is going to be full. 10 rack of ribs are going to be cooked tomorrow come **** or high water.

Skip the salt.

I cook ribs well over 300? so don't notice a significant difference in cook time brined vs. not but you well might at lower temps. If I foil I foil at the end (and cook to tender in the foil); with your approach I'd suggest 3-1-then whatever time till tender is achieved (a probe inserted between the bones goes in with no resistance).

Did you rinse the cryo pack junk and take off the membrane? If I don't paint (with bbq sauce) the ribs, I back off the rub.

Rinse no, wipe off yes. I always remove the membranes.

The ribs were a big hit. I did a "Slap yo Daddy" rub without the salt, and for a sauce I did a jarred Diana (black label) BBQ sauce.

The smoke was at about 225 lid temp and I did 3-1.5-.5 and they were just about right. One rack in the middle of the pack was still a little chewy but I was on a time crunch and the rest were all pretty much perfect.

Everyone there was a southern BBQ virgin but I got lots of comments from the party goers such as "I thought "fall of the bone" was a figure of speech until now".
icon_smile.gif
Actually none were mush and all the racks kept together when I moved them from the WSM to the trays. Pretty much perfect I think.

Lessons learnt:

That was the biggest cook I've done and that much meat caused the ramp up to 225ish to take longer than I anticipated.

Back