RSC... rubbery skin

Regina S

TVWBB Pro
Hi everyone. I am fairly new here. Tried the RSC and loved it. However, the skin becomes rubbery what am I doing wrong? Grill temp on my performer is very hot, using stubbs and RO lump for the cook. Any helpful advice for this issue is much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Regina, you are doing nothing wrong, its very hard to get crispy skin on chicken unless its fried chicken, the only way to eat crispy chicken skin is to eat the chicken directly off the grill, by the time you take the chicken off the grill, take the chicken inside, plate the meal, say a prayer and start eating, its to late the crisp is gone.

I've never experienced rubbery skin on roadside chicken. Bite-through at worst and definitely crispy at times.

Maybe you should try using higher heat and baste/turn more often.

The key to crispy skin is high heat and/or some time directly over the coals. The charcoal brand doesn't matter. They all get hot enough to crisp up skin. JMO.

Even if you skip the prayer, the skin won't be crisp, so don't try that.
icon_wink.gif

Interesting. I think with the RSC, I get the best skin of any preparation. I do it super hot, and baste probably 10-15 times during the cook, so the num nums build up a nice little layer on the bird. Perhaps your definition of hot is not as hot as others? When I do RSC, it usually takes care of the hair on my hands, to give you an idea of the kind of temps I use for the recipe.

I get very very crisp skin with the RSC recipe. I cook direct over the coals and chase it around the grill as flare ups occur. I put the sauce in squeeze bottle and douse the chicken every time I move it. Which is a lot.

The best way I have found to have crispy skin is to marinade it first and then dry it off, (not rinse it) just pat dry and put on a rack that sits in cookie sheet, and leave in the fridge. You know the racks yer wife puts cookies on? That way it dries out the chicken as it drips onto the sheet pan. 6 or 8 hours in enuff but overnight is better. Then when the chicken is cooked on the grill just finish over direct heat for crisp chicken!

I love RSC - probably cooked it 100 times. I like to cover my food in a sealed container to let the juices come in for 5+ minutes after I cook it and I have stopped doing this with the RSC. Usually it is marinaded and basted so much it will not be dry unless it is overcooked. The secret with the skin is to put it directly over the fire at the end of the cook and let it burn a little, not all grizzle but not just light brown.

I've found a pretty reliable process that has given me consistently crispy skin on my chicken. I pat all of my chicken dry until a paper towel comes away from the chicken the same way it went on: DRY. I then let the chicken come to room temperature over the course of a couple hours. I then pat the chicken dry again to ensure no condensation has occurred on the skin. I then grill indirect for about 1 hour. Generally speaking, this is sufficient time for a crisp skin, but if I want it even crisper, I'll throw the chicken skinside down directly over the coals. Generally speaking, however, I rarely have to put the chicken over direct.

The skin will indeed soften because of steam and heat release, and this will start the moment you take it off the grill. If you want to regain the crisp skin later on, when eating leftovers for instance, preheat your oven or toaster oven to 400-450. 5 minutes often does the trick.

Back