RPI won't boot HM v7/8/9

EmilW

Dearest experts,

I've assembled my HM v4 hardware and now I'm trying to boot my RPI with the HM software. This is not working.

I tried the v7, v8 and v9 software on two different SD cards. No working.

With not working I mean: The RPI red light (PWR) goes on and after one quick RPI green flash (ACT) the red stays red and nothing happens.

What does work are 2 different RPI distro's (OpenElec/Raspbian) on 2 different SD cards all boot and work with both the USB power and the HM board connected 12V DC. When working I have HDMI output and ethernet connectivity.

I'm at a loss/very stuck. Any tips/pointers/pages I forgot to read/understand?

Possibly, your LCD brightness needs to be adjusted. I know that threw me on the first boot with the HM connected. I thought it wasn't working at first. Also, I'm not sure what the default IP of the HM software is. I think with v9, it uses dhcp to obtain an address by your router. If you can log into your router, you might be able to determine connected devices, which may include the rpi/hm. If so, you might try putting that IP in a browser to see if you can reach the HM homepage.

That's not the LCD, the green light should flash on and off a few dozen times on startup as the OS loads. Golly I sure hope they didn't come up with another board revision that requires a GPU firmware update.

Pop your SD card back into the computer and you should see a small drive with start.elf, bootcode.bin, etc. Go to the github Firmware page and download (click 'View Raw' on each file's page) and replace the following files on your SD card:
Code:
start.elf
fixup.dat
bootcode.bin
Eject the SD card and see if it boots with that.

Dear Darren, I must admit that the brightness has been adjusted from the outset and throughout. Furthermore I can be certain the ethernet is not responding because I'm not even getting a link (led) on my switch. So, no network connectivity when booting a HM OS.

The LCD is working because the display changes when power is connected, I can then adjust brightness and some changes are observed (translucent/black). I left it on this afternoon for a good 15 minutes afterwards adjusting the LCD brightness (again), no text or information.

That's not the LCD, the green light should flash on and off a few dozen times on startup as the OS loads. Golly I sure hope they didn't come up with another board revision that requires a GPU firmware update.

Pop your SD card back into the computer and you should see a small drive with start.elf, bootcode.bin, etc. Go to the github Firmware page and download (click 'View Raw' on each file's page) and replace the following files on your SD card:
Code:
start.elf
fixup.dat
bootcode.bin
Eject the SD card and see if it boots with that.

Bryan,

Yes this fixed the problem. I am very sorry to inform you that there seems to be a new version of the RPI Model B. If needed I can send you more information of my revision if you have any specific questions.

Thanks again for your speedy replies.

Emil, can you please post info about this new rPi version in this thread so the rest of us can be informed about it? A link to where you bought it would be nice, so we can all be aware what is out there and what we are buying.

There's a Rev 1 and Rev 2 of the model B. My HM is running on the Rev 2 board just fine.

Rev 1:

HfTvrgsl.jpg

Rev 2:

v40FPcrl.jpg

I had assumed he meant a NEWER version of the pi, cause I am running the V2 shown in your picture without a problem as well..

That looks to be the same board most of us are running... At least I think it is what I have, can't say for SURE at the moment cause mine is locked up in the case, but if the blue audio connector is an indication that is what I have. So it would seem there shouldn't be any issues with the HeaterMeter OS running on this board...

Thanks for the great pictures Emil!

Everyone, note that the memory chip is made by eeeeee.... someone else whose logo is an M with a swirl around it. That generally means that a new GPU firmware is required to recognize the chip. I'll put the new firmware on my todo list, thanks for bringing it up.

It's hard for me to see a difference from what I have looking the pictures, IDK if it is the flash in the photo but one chip doesnt seem to have any writing on it... It seems the version number hasn't changed, so there is no way to know what you will get (which memory chip) when you order a rPi V2 now?
This is the pic posted on the Amazon page where I ordered my pi from....
51NMMLsw6XL.jpg

The flash makes it impossible to see in the second picture, but the first you can see it has that unusual logo on it. The 3.3V and 1.8V voltage regulators are also different but it's not like those can make software not work right. They even made an official statement a few months ago saying "don't buy an SD card pre-flashed, because it may not boot if it isn't up to date".

I like that clearly the GPU firmware supports the new version, but there's no mention of the new memory chip support in the git changelog. Nothin' like a closed binary driver that has an incomplete changelog!

Alright, I see what you mean in the first picture... Still hard to tell what you will get when you order I guess since there is no real change in version number or specs.... I guess we'll just have to look for the circled M on the chip when we get a new pi....

It's not that huge a deal this time, LinkMeter v10 will support it no problem. The last version had a lot of internal changes I needed to update the OpenWrt kernel to support but this one looks like just a straight upgrade. I've already got the needed changes in git and it supports the older Pi versions (at least those I have here, all Samsung chips) as well.

I made some pictures, after making myself turn the HM off again and opening the case ;)

http://imgur.com/a/PycaD

and the kernel boot log

http://pastebin.com/tH5ZstEZ

Please feel free to ask me for more information if needed.

Hi everyone. Sorry to stir up an older thread, but I am having the same problem even after updating the 3 files mentioned in a previous post in this thread. The boot process is stopping at the same point as in EmilW's log. I noticed that after reformatting and re-imaging the SD card, it gets a little further the first time and then reboots. I do get the no pit probe message on the LCD and it seems like the HM board is working correctly as a temperature of 254F is shown for the thermistor on the probe 3 location. If you guys have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Tyson

Did you try pressing enter on the keyboard? It only stops spitting out log messages because there's nothing else to say. It always reboots after the first time you boot with a re-imaged SD card (to restore your configuration from the previous imaging). If you have 254F showing, then it booted enough to flash the AVR, you just need to log into the website and change the coefficients to match the "ambient" probe type. See My ambient temperature sensor is reading 270F! in the wiki, and The console on my RaspberryPi hangs after booting.

Ok...thought I was having the same issue, but it seems to be working fine. I don't have a compatible keyboard, so that appears to be my issue. Thank-you for pointing me in the right direction.

Back