Royal oak

Charlie J

Anybody using royal oak?

This new Kingsford is driving me crazy, I haven't tried it yet in my WSM but plan on doing it tomorrow. Just incease I don't like it does anybody use royal oak and is it better? Do I have to make major adjustments to my smoking??

I just posted my experience with the new stuff on the New Kingsford Sucks thread. It's on page 6. Will you have to adjust your smoking? I have no idea but you will see what I did. Btw I'm on hour 23 of a Minion method without refueling and the WSM is kicking out at 240 degrees.

Charlie-

Make the switch you will love there is hardly any clean up with ash. Also it took me 5 cooks to master the temp control. I have made a post about this so search the BBQ forum.

Rick

I use Royal Oak briquettes exclusively in the WSM, mainly because it's all I can get around here, but I wouldn't switch even if I could.

It lights easily and burns steadily with a good charcoal smell. Temperature control is easy and ash production is very reasonable.

Using the Minion method, I've done at least a dozen 20-hour cooks without the need to refuel.

As Rick and Glenn say, it might take you a couple of cooks to get used to the different properties of Royal Oak, but I bet you stick with it once you do.

I've used about ten 20# bags since the Labor
Day 2005 sales for both smoking and grilling. It is consistent and I notice no difference from old Kingsford.

Mark

i just did my first cook on the wsm with royal oak charcoal and i'm impressed. i went 18 hours with out having to refuel in less than ideal conditions. this is better than i have ever done using briquetts.

it seemed that the lump responded more quickly to vent changes and because it burns hotter i was able to close the vents more than i normally do with kingsford briquetts. for a few hours i was able to cruz at 10 0 0 which i think contributed to the long burn time.

the flavor was good. i used a little bit of hickory for the first couple of hours and then burned straight lump.

Back