Royal Oak....

Becky M-M

TVWBB Pro
I saw some Royal Oak at the store... even had it in my cart. but... i have never used it before. and dont want to mess up a cook because i dont know about temperature difference.

how does it compare to Kingsford... that is what i have always used. I usually use about 3/4 of a chimney, would i need less using RO?

does it run hotter? burn faster? in the end do you end up using more than you would of Kingsford?

I'm sure scientificly there are differences, but not enough for you to notice. Assuming you are refering to briquets vs briquets.

should be ok. assuming its briquettes. the worst thing you can do is switch something during a cook. you need to try it first. its about all i use.

uh oh... dont i feel silly... i didnt know there were different types of RO. it is the type that is carried at walmart in a 10lb bag. i know i read it, but forgot what the label said.

Chances are very good that you were looking at RO lump. It looks very different but to be honest, as far as cooking goes, it's really not that much different.

You'll probably notice that for the same given amount of of coal, the RO lump will burn slightly hotter and faster. It will also produce less ash and not have that funky smell during startup.

I use it exclusively for home and for comps.

Russ

It probably was lump, but the only other briqs I have seen in 9lb. bags was "SIZZLE" brand briqs made by Royal Oak for like $5 at Big Lots last Summer.

I get the 40lb. bags of Chefs Select Briqs

IMG_4659.jpg

Made by Royal Oak.

How do you like it Brian? Out here GFS (Gordon Food Service) sells the RO in 40lb bags also. Different packaging and I believe the size of the Briqs are alot larger than the standard RO?

Tim

We have the lump royal oak around here. I always liked using it just not always all that available like kingsford. Seems like a bag of briquets goes farther but maybe its just me.

Back