Royal Oak Super-Size Ridge Charcoal Briquets - 10lb Bag

The ad says “high heat” suggesting it burns hot and probably fast. Perfect for the grill as you suggest, questionable in the WSM. The ad says thru 07/01/24, definitely a good price, but not a lot of time at that price

I would think it would work perfectly fine in any smoker......and you could maintain the same temps as you would normally expect.
I don't use briq's too much but it is my regular choice and I have about 60 pounds laying around to use.
I have only smoked with lump 1 time and it seemed fine as well.
That price looks pretty darn good to me.

I have used it to smoke. Not bad... I had heard the Weber charcoal was made by RO & was hopeful it was same or close to same stuff. It isn't. It did burn much quicker than Weber. Used 20 lbs to go 8 or 10 hrs. I would close vents to extinguish the Weber @ 11 or 12 hrs.
For .33/lb I'd definitely get some more. Just bought 80 lbs of Costco charcoal for .45/lb.

I read some of the reviews posted on Lowe’s.

Several said ash was rather firm and didn’t crumble well thru the Weber clean out system making cleanup a PIA. Others said burned rather quickly.

🤷‍♂️

I bought 6 bags yesterday. Would of bought more but it looked like they parked a car on top of the pallet.
All the remaining bags were flat with rips and cuts.
I used RO exclusively when I first bought my WSM. Haven't used it in years so we'll see what kind of formula these are.
I think I'll use these in the vortex or baskets.

Well I purchased 3 bags yesterday from 2 pallets that had quite a few bags torn & taped.
IMG_6358.jpg KBB on the left for a quick comparison.

IMG_6360.jpg
A lot of smoke at the 10 minute mark.
IMG_6361.jpg
It settled in at the 15 minute mark.

IMG_6362.jpg

Fire in the hole! The real test will be how the leftover coal reacts once the fire as died.....

Back