Royal Oak Minion Question

David Savona

TVWBB Member
I have two 8 pound butts I'm cooking for Sunday dinner. I want them ready to serve at 9 pm. I've recently switched to Royal Oak for my cooks, but the last time I did it I had to reload several times.

I'm considering using the Minion method, because I figure I need 12-16 hours for these bad boys to get ready for pulling. Any special trick to doing the Minion method for the Royal Oak? Shoudl I really pack the ring full of lump so there's little airspace between the lump?

Someone recommended lighting 15 coals to get it started...another question I have is how long do I wait to put hte meat on after lighting using this method?

Thanks...BTW, I'm doing Renown Mr. Brown, which I love.

Pack the ring tight and fire like you normally would. You can put the meat on as soon as it's assembled, not going to hurt it having it on there as the smoker comes up to temp.

Yes, carefully load the RO so that you minimize space. You might still need to refuel as its burn time isn't as long as some other lumps but by minimizing space you'll extend that time.

15 coals should do it.

You don't wait at all. Have the ring filled and the chimney with the lit started. When the lit is ready add it to the ring, assemble the cooker and put on the meat.

Dave, I did a 3 butt cook last week and did the Minion method. I use this method for all my long cooks. I use a combination of Royal Oak lump and Royal Oak briquets. 13 hrs on this cook and didn't reload.

FYI, for an update, I got 10 hours out of the full ring done Minion style with Royal Oak briquettes. It was my first try at a Minion lighting, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Next time I think I'll spend even more time packing the ring, and instead of starting with vents at 30/30/30 I might go 0/0/25. My smoker tends to be a little airy, so that's probably all I need.

Very happy with the Royal Oak.

Yesterday for my Smoke, I filled the ring with RO lump, but I wasn't concerned with packing it in tight, just dumped it and spread it out. I came up just above the ring. I then light a chimney full (no idea how many) and dumped on the ring.

It ran hot (400 at lid) at first then settled down just right and it lasted 12.5 hours before reloading was necessary.

This was my first time using RO as well. I usually used Green Egg, but I couldn't tell much diffreence in size of lumps. I'll use RO for now on.

Back