Royal Oak Lump mmmm

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Had to try some. $5 and change at Wally. There is a nice brisket and a butt cooking away.
I started the MM cook with 1/2 chimney of kingsford. It is proceeding just like normal. Two vent adjustments and stable at 220.

I have only one observation of note:
Nice burning wood smell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Had to try some. $5 and change at Wally. There is a nice brisket and a butt cooking away.
I started the MM cook with 1/2 chimney of kingsford. It is proceeding just like normal. Two vent adjustments and stable at 220.

I have only one observation of note:
Nice burning wood smell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you love lump as much as some of us do. While I don't really have a problem with Kingsfor, Lump leaves more of the meat flavor come out IMO. Kingsford leaves to much of it's flavor there. I even notice more of the flavor of the smoke wood also.

You won't be sorry Charlie, Royal Oak Lump is very good. I've been using it for several years. Good burn times, consistent temps, low ash, good size pieces and reasonably priced. Go for it, you'll like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette: Royal Oak Lump ... and reasonably priced.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm thinking about giving it a try if I continue to be unsuccessful in finding Duraflame briqs, locally. I've used some for direct grilling and just picked it up at a local hardware store - pretty expensive there, may be 12 or 14 dollars for a 20 lb bag. What's a good price and where ?

Paul

If you can find a restaurant supply house that sells to the public, look for Nature-Glo. According to the Naked Whiz, it's the food service version of Royal Oak lump, and I get it for about $8 per 20-lb bag.

Nature-Glo review

Hmmmmm. It was a tough 20 hours. More lump was added twice-all 10 lbs. Then I added a 3/4 chimney of kingsford. This wasn't my first lump cook but you could not tell it from my frustrating refuels...
I do like the smell of the cook. I do not like the fuel management issues. Meat seems great. I will serve it on Saturday. There is a learning curve with lump.
With previous cooks I have used a mix of charcoal and lump. It is easier to keep a good fire with one layer of charcoal, a middle layer of lump and charcoal on top from the chimney as a starter. This is contrary to what the lump purists would do, I am sure. Perhaps I can polish my lump cooking skills and not need the charcoal crutch.
Can you tell the difference betwween butt or brisket cooked on lump? Good question, I do not have the answer. There does seem to be a difference in the smell of the smoke.

IMO the flavor of the meat and rub stand more alone with lump. I have now done 7-8 cooks using only lump. The smoke aroma seems reduced, but the meats seem more smoked. I didn't realize how different the charcoal's effect on flavor, aroma, and taste would be compared to lump.

I finished a few racks of spares today using royal oak. The flavor was terrific...and I could clearly differentiate the taste of the rub from the meat and the glaze.

My last cook last weekend were 2 butts over a whole brisket. And yes, there is imo a taste change. The smoke ring on the brisket was normal and plenty of bark developed on the butts.

I sometimes have a hard time tasting the flavor of what I've cooked when I pull it off, as I have been exposed to the process for such a long time and my senses have dulled. But when I have reheated the lump cooks, there is a noticable change of aroma. To me it seems more pure.

As far as managing the fuel, I have taken the advice to methodically arrange the lump inside the ring and avoid open pockets between pieces. The first time I used lump in the kettle, I just dumped it in. Mistake.

Last week I went 17-18 hours on the first load of lump (it was wicked good lump). I had to add a little bit just prior to the end to finish the cook. I think I ended up using around 8-9lbs,as I had just a little left in a 10lb bag.

It is more expensive. It burns nearly the same. Imo, the finished product seems more polished. I will still use charcoal on occasion, but I now prefer lump.

Hope this helps.

This morning I had brisket and scrambled eggs. The flavor of the brisket was wonderful. The smoke flavor seems to be more subtle.

Back