Royal Oak Lump and my Confusion

Now I'm confused! I found Royal Oak Steak House lump in a green bag, 8.8 lbs, made in the USA at Menards yesterday on sale for $4.00. Anyone familiar with this product?

There is a place near me called "Restaurant Depot". I see a lot of you guys like the R.O Lump. So, I wanted to try it. I just picked up a 20# bag for $9.00. (I usually use W.G.C. and love the stuff. This is the R.O. Lump from Paraguay that the Lump Charcoal Database gave a poor rating to. I hope I like it).

For those who have access to a cash and carry, just found Lazzari lump 40# bag on sale for $11.29. I have been using Kford and hope this will improve my bbq.

Originally posted by Jefferey:
For those who have access to a cash and carry, just found Lazzari lump 40# bag on sale for $11.29. I have been using Kford and hope this will improve my bbq.
That's a steal.
icon_cool.gif

Bryan,
Have you used this stuff? I got 2 bags and will go get more if you think it's a deal. Thanks-
Jefferey, Lazzari Mesquite lump was the first lump I ever used back in 84-85. I loved the stuff and bought it via a phone call to them. I had bought 2 40lb bags and just loved it. I haven't used it since then but, it still should burn just fine. 40 lbs of lump for $11 and change is a great deal. Yeah it will spark and carry on some, but that doesn't bother me in the least. Cooking food over good smelling lump coals is what it's about in my book. JMO. FWIW it's still rated very high on some of the best Lump I ever used.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan,
What are the top 3 lump charcoals in your opinion?
IMO, Hands down the absolute best lump I ever used, and no longer can get here in the States is Maple Leaf Lump, from Canada, They used to import it to us but no longer do.
icon_frown.gif
2 & 3 are tied in my book. I choose Humphrey's Lump second because I can get it local. But that said, Wicked Good Competion Lump is equal in burn time, but have to buy it online. Any of those top 3 you are looking at 21 hrs + of burn time from about 10 lbs., full charcoal ring of Lump. Not so far behind those are B&B Oak Lump, Ozark Oak Lump, Lazzari, and the Original Charcoal Co Lump, all 18+ hrs of burn time from a full ring. Any one of these Lumps are fantastic to use.
icon_wink.gif

1- WGC/Picnic...tie
2- Floresta (made by Picnic)
3- B @ B
4- Royal Oak
196- Cowboy
End of list

Going up to DC on Friday, and gonna bring home some Humphrey's if I can find it.

Ok I have this dilemma, I would like to switch over to using Lump for my WSM cooks rather than briquettes. Problem being I cant find any lump other than Cowboy lump which from what I hear and personal experience is cr@p. I have checked at the Wal Marts, BJs, Lowes, HDs, Ace Hardwares in my area and they sell nothing but kingsford and cowboy lump. Its actually a surprise when I find RO briquetttes. Now I live not to far away from the distribution center of WGC lump Charcoal but 30 22lb bags seems a little excessive. Anybody know any place locally that carries lump charcoal in my area (Southern NH/Northern Mass) Thanks...

Originally posted by Eric G:
Ok I have this dilemma, I would like to switch over to using Lump for my WSM cooks rather than briquettes. Problem being I cant find any lump other than Cowboy lump which from what I hear and personal experience is cr@p. I have checked at the Wal Marts, BJs, Lowes, HDs, Ace Hardwares in my area and they sell nothing but kingsford and cowboy lump. Its actually a surprise when I find RO briquetttes. Now I live not to far away from the distribution center of WGC lump Charcoal but 30 22lb bags seems a little excessive. Anybody know any place locally that carries lump charcoal in my area (Southern NH/Northern Mass) Thanks...

Go to the Wicked Good website Eric. Shipping to you should be minimal. 22 lb bags of very good lump, if you order 3, is something like $13.25 per bag. I've ordered from them. 3 22 lb bags of lump with freight was approx $52. check them out

Back