Royal Oak Briquettes

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
I'm on my second bag of Royal Oak briquettes after finding 18lb bags on sale at Wegmans for $5 something each. I hate it and would prefer dealing with the ash from Kingsford if I need to used briquettes for now on. Why? I find it's hard to light compared to Kingsford Briquettes and RO Lump, it stinks when I first light it and again, it's hard as **** to light and does not seem to get very hot.

I love an regularly used RO Lump with no issues and Kingsford Briquettes with no issues and Stubbs with no issues.

Has anyone else had any problems with RO Briquettes or did I just get two maybe damp bags and that's why they were so cheap?

Hi Larry,

Don't be so harsh on the Royal Oak briquettes. After reading that so many folks on this forum preferred Royal Oak briquettes to Kingsford briquettes, I bought a half-dozen bags of the Royal Oak briquettes.

I found the Royal Oak briquettes to smoke more, smell worse, start slower, not heat as hot and not last as long as the Kingsford briquettes. Other than for those attributes, I find the Royal Oak briquettes superior to Kingsford briquettes in most every other way!
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

###

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D. L. Whitehead:
Hi Larry,

Don't be so harsh on the Royal Oak briquettes. After reading that so many folks on this forum preferred Royal Oak briquettes to Kingsford briquettes, I bought a half-dozen bags of the Royal Oak briquettes.

I found the Royal Oak briquettes to smoke more, smell worse, start slower, not heat as hot and not last as long as the Kingsford briquettes. Other than for those attributes, I find the Royal Oak briquettes superior to Kingsford briquettes in most every other way!
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

### </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just made my brain hurt and made me laugh at the same time!
icon_biggrin.gif

My friend that got me hooked on charcoal uses these exclusively. He is a slow deliberate griller though. I have followed suit when using these, but if I'm cooking stuff that requires high heat I use groves or whatever charwood I have at my disposal. My .5 cent...

well, i'm the opposite. i find ro to be a lot better than kingsford. that being said. don't buy it so there will be some left for the rest of us that do like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
: that being said. don't buy it so there will be some left for the rest of us that do like it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Howdy george,

It would be my pleasure to never purchase Royal Oak briquettes again. There is absolutely no need to worry about me cornering the market!

###

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D. L. Whitehead:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
: that being said. don't buy it so there will be some left for the rest of us that do like it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Howdy george,

It would be my pleasure to never purchase Royal Oak briquettes again. There is absolutely no need to worry about me cornering the market!

### </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Its funny that you said you like Stubbs because RO makes that too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they do, it's not the same product or at least the RO Briquettes I had were not. The Stubb's I've used sparks a bit like lump, it burns HOT and burns longer. All of those characteristics are contrary to the ROB's.

I thought Stubbs was made by COWBOY charcoal!!
icon_eek.gif
I could have sworn i'v seen the name on the back of the bag, or i might be mistaken ???
icon_redface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Its funny that you said you like Stubbs because RO makes that too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they do, it's not the same product or at least the RO Briquettes I had were not. The Stubb's I've used sparks a bit like lump, it burns HOT and burns longer. All of those characteristics are contrary to the ROB's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I LOVE Stubbs. Lowe's carries it and I load up on it these days. Even better than K or K Comp. I like it better than Cowboy too. I have a bag of 365 (Whole Foods storebrand lump) that I'm going to fire up this evening when I do strips and sweet potatoes. I'll give anything a try. LOL

Back