Royal Oak Briquettes On Sale At Walmart

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Our local store has the twin-pack of Royal Oak briquettes on sale for $7.84. These bags are 12 pounds apiece, so that comes to 24 pounds total.

I just opened a bag, and the briquettes are rather smallish in size (smaller than Kingsford). They look just like Walmart's own Backyard charcoal briquettes, only the Walmart charcoal is bigger in size.

Our local store has the twin-pack of Royal Oak briquettes on sale for $7.84. These bags are 12 pounds apiece, so that comes to 24 pounds total.

I just opened a bag, and the briquettes are rather smallish in size (smaller than Kingsford). They look just like Walmart's own Backyard charcoal briquettes, only the Walmart charcoal is bigger in size.

How does the Royal Oak do on time and flavor?

That's $0.33 per pound, about the same price as KBB..... Maybe I'll stock up on some of it.

How does the Royal Oak do on time and flavor?

I thought it held up pretty well, although I thought I could taste a bit of smoke flavor somewhat. Kingsford may have a slight edge in that area. I can buy the Backyard brand at Walmart fairly cheap year round, and it is identical to Royal Oak except Royal Oak is smaller in size - much smaller.

I'll try a bag of Kingsford soon, and see how it compares flavor wise.

Royal oak is great briguttes and yes they do make the backyard briquettes for wally world but it's made to wally world standerds not Royal Oak's,,,It's all right for quick cook's but it doesn't like getting alot of drippings on it from lets say chicken or anything esle fatty and yes i use it every once in a while for certain cook's and have for years,,,But it's no Royal Oak in any term's.

Seems to me there is a difference between Royal Oak briquettes & Royal Oak Chef Select.
I'm under the impression that one is charcoal & the other is lump charcoal.
Correct me if I've got this wrong - wouldn't be the first time.
I haven't used either one, but am considering trying the Chef Select.

Seems to me there is a difference between Royal Oak briquettes & Royal Oak Chef Select.
I'm under the impression that one is charcoal & the other is lump charcoal.
Correct me if I've got this wrong - wouldn't be the first time.
I haven't used either one, but am considering trying the Chef Select.

Chef Select is a '100% hardwood natural briquette', like Stubbs. Standard Royal Oak briquettes are similar to KBB with limestone, coal, nitrates

Last edited:
Our Wally World has RO 7lb bags, 2 for 8 bucks. Not a good deal when I can find two 16lb bags of blue for 12.99 or less.

Just tried a bag of Kingsford, and the food tasted good, but the heat was a bit disappointing compared to Royal Oak, and Kingsford seems to create more ash in my opinion. I think I'll stick to Royal Oak for now.

Bump.

I'm going on record to say that Royal Oak briquettes are better than the Kingsford blue bag. I have compared the two, and I much prefer Royal Oak to Kingsford on the grill and even in the WSM. Royal Oak seems to give off less ash, too, which is a plus for me.

I hope our local Walmart keeps carrying it.

Back