"Round" Advice

Benny L.

TVWBB Fan
Hi gang-

Haven't posted much in a while, been busy trying to sell our house and move to CT, but I read frequently and have been having fun smoking and grilling when I find the time.

I've been on a sort of personal mission to cook my way through all the main cuts off beef this summer. A whole slew of common steaks (ribeye, strip, T-bone, tenderloin, sirloin, flank, skirt) are done, along with ground beef (burgers) and beef franks just to be thorough. As for roasts, I've of course done my fair share of briskets, several tri-tips, and a pair of smoked chuck roasts. Also did beef ribs for the first time and was really pleased with the results.

By my count, I'd down to the last major area, the Round. As best as I can remember, I have never, ever, cooked anything from the round, so I've been doing some research here and wanted to ask a bit of advice. I understand that the cuts of round are generally lean and should be cooked accordingly (hotter & faster rather than low & slow, don't cook beyond medium, pull before reaching ideal temp and let residual heat finish it off while resting, slice thin).

I am interested in trying the Pit Beef recipe, or a variation thereof. As a separate project, I've also been reading up on jerky recipes/techniques. At my grocery stores I often see large Top Round Roasts, smaller roasts or large steaks marked as Top Round London Broil, Round Eye, and Bottom Round Roasts, all of which are generally priced fairly close to one another. Browsing the weekly ads, right now one store has Round Tip Roasts on discount, and another has anonymous-sounding Rump Roasts on buy-1 get-1.

The Pit Beef recipe in the beef section calls for Top Round, but I think I've seen posts of people doing the same prep with Round Eye. As far as beef jerky goes, it seems the consensus from the posts I read is that the "London Broil" Top Round is preferred (since is can be more or less cut directly into strips) but most any lean cut may be used if properly trimmed of fat.

I have three questions:

1. First, for pit beef and for jerky, am I on the right track with the preferred cuts? If there is a significant difference in price, is another cut nearly as good?

2. Of the two cuts on sale right now, Round Tip and Rump Roast, are either of these good for anything?

3. Any suggestions on other uses I might find for various round cuts?

Thank in advance for any advice! I'm sure I am over-complicating things, but I don't want to make a mistake akin to buying pork loin instead of tenderloin, spare ribs instead of loin back ribs, etc. I'm sure most anything is good if prepared well, but as a round rookie I want to match the right meat to the application. Thanks again!

Hi Benny,

You're bucking the trend; most people are leaving CT to come to TX!

Here's my .02:

1. Yes, I think you'll be fine using those cuts for pit beef. Personally, I'd stick with the 'roast' cut as the slicing would be easier. I frequently will use rump roast for jerky. Any lean cut will work.

2. Rump roast: see above, and you could braise it as well. I'd sear it, add some fresh onion and garlic, season it, and cook it in foil or dutch oven. A splash of wine wouldn't hurt either. Cover to retain the juices and just don't over cook it. Slice thin.

3. Not really, I don't buy a lot of round...

Good luck with the house.

Paul

Rump is often used for Italian beef sandwiches.

I'm not much of a round fan. I virtually never buy it. When I get a whole or half steer then I cook it. Nothing wrong with it but I prefer other, less lean cuts.

I cooked in Conn all this past weekend. Where there are you looking Benny?

I use eye round for pit beef.

It doesn't have any gristle and is really easy to cook perfectly temp wise.

You must slice it deli thin though.

Thank you for the info, gang. I picked out two nice looking rump roasts on the way home, each ~2.5lbs. One will definitely be a jerky experiment, the other will be done in a more "standard" cook TBD. Like I mentioned, I don't recall ever working with round before, so I appreciate the tips. I just always see it in the meat counter and figured I needed to give it a try, if just for a learning experience.

As for the house, we're moving because my wife was offered and accepted a position in New Haven, CT. We are both originally from down here and we wanted to try a different part of the country before we have kids. We both have a good number of friends in the northeast, and she was very lucky to be offered a great job, so we're going for it. She and our dog (my #1 BBQ pal) are already up there and loving it. I'm staying behind till we get the house sold (only on the market six weeks so far). We're very lucky in the Dallas area, and it seems particularly in my neck of the woods, that the market hasn't taken as much punishment as many other areas, but it is still less than ideal to be selling property right now. I could go on and on, but things will work out just fine with a little patience, and I'm enjoying the wealth of time with my grill and smoker. Still getting used to not having the little monster tending the fire with me though.
icon_frown.gif

Back