Rotisserie folks: One bank of coals or two?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
Seems a nit-picky question, but when cooking something as big as a turkey (ours will be about 16 pounds) at a temp of about 350, is it better to have one big bank of coals, or two smaller ones? I think one would definitely make it easier to set up and tend to the cook (no reaching across hot coals), but wouldn't heat the cooking chamber as evenly (which, I guess, doesn't matter as much when the item being cooked is rotating through it).

Chad, I've used my rotisserie with a boneless pork butt (still wanting to try a big bird!) and I had banks of coals on both sides of a drip pan, and I was running temps of 350-375˚F. However, I've heard that the design of a Weber kettle is to provide a circulation of the heat, so the two banks of coals may be a moot point...but I feel better with two banks of coals! Tending coals just amounts to dropping briquets on the side that needs them - really nothing to reach across if the banks run parallel to the spit rod.

I've always done two. Just run your spit north/south with coals on the east and west. That way you don't have to reach over anything.

I generally do two with the drip pan in the middle. Trying the "U" from DadCooksDinner for this years bird. Will have to see how that works.

Back