Rotisserie- direct or indirect?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
There is a thread already begun on this subject but, maybe a “bigger” voice can offer some additional insight?
Both sides of the discussion are pleasant and points are well made. But, your opinion would be good to hear.

I may be stepping on a hornets' nest here, but my opinion is that both have their time and place. In general, most rotisserie cooking is done over indirect heat, to prevent burning the surface, and that's the way I roast chickens, prime rib, and pork rib on a spit. I started my professional career cooking ducks on a rotisseries at a French bistro in San Francisco. It was called Roti. Anyone remember it? Anyway, we cooked ducks on a rotisserie over direct heat, but the there was a a yard a space between the fire and ducks, so no worries with flare-ups. I would not do that on a kettle. But I would roast a pineapple on a kettle over direct low heat. I'm not sure if my experience is what you might call "insight." The smartest thing I can say is, do whatever works for you and the equipment you have. Einstein said that, but not really....

Hi Jamie, I posted your recipe for "Rotisserie Pork with Bourbon Barbecue Mop" before I read your post. But I think in your recipe you answered this question quite sensibly, if after the first hour meat starts to look too brown using Direct move to Indirect.

Thank you for answering my question and all the nice comments.

Back