Rotisserie Counterweight... I just don't get it?!?!

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
In another thread, the conversation of the counterweight for the rotisserie was discussed...

Ok guys, I need you all to explain to me the importance of and the "how to" use the counterweight. I have the One grill heavy duty motor and the rod did came with a counterweight, but I have never understood how or why to use it. I usually spinning one or max 2 five pound-ish chickens and once I did a five bone rack of pork. Therefore, I don't think I have really pushed the motor, but I don't get or know how do use the counterweight. I feel a little stupid admitting that, but I just don't understand. Teach me please!

If the spit is off balance the motor will work harder.

To set the counterweight, leave the motor off.
put loaded spit on grill.
If it spins freely, no counterweight needed.
If it heavy on one side the load will settle. Put the counterweight on pointing straight up and it will offset the out of balance load.

Let me find a video... It's easier to watch.

If it heavy on one side the load will settle. Put the counterweight on pointing straight up and it will offset the out of balance load.

DanHoo for the win with a perfectly delivered answer from the pole position. Well done!

OH NOW I GET IT! So I have always put the spit directly into the motor and never thought to look to see how it spun freely/on it own. I will give this a try on Sunday and see how I fair.

Sorry, I didn't mean to leave anybody hanging. It might make more sense to think of it as a teeter-totter. Two five hundred pound guys could theoretically balance perfectly, while a two year old could be badly out of balance with a six year old. Its not the total weight involved - it's the balance.

Right, it’s not the weight, it’s balance. A chicken back does not weigh the same as the breast side, the balance comes by counterweight offsetting that. I usually do that by doing two birds of fairly close weight and placing one breast up and the other breast down. Besides, who doesn’t want some leftovers?

Right, it’s not the weight, it’s balance. A chicken back does not weigh the same as the breast side, the balance comes by counterweight offsetting that. I usually do that by doing two birds of fairly close weight and placing one breast up and the other breast down. Besides, who doesn’t want some leftovers?
Yeah those modern chickens are really "stacked" (sorry I could not pass that one up) :D

This entire thread was worth it, just to see the guy sprinkle Old Bay on the chicken.
We live in MD and use it on pretty much everything, (including fried chicken), but I've never used it on a roasted chicken.
I'm going to remedy that, the next time I spin a bird.

This entire thread was worth it, just to see the guy sprinkle Old Bay on the chicken.
We live in MD and use it on pretty much everything, (including fried chicken), but I've never used it on a roasted chicken.
I'm going to remedy that, the next time I spin a bird.
I just bought one of the huge containers at Costco. Actually like the stuff. It's my secret weapon on a lot of things

Never had it or Lawry’s seasoned salt, picked up both the other day, I like them both, mixed up a salt pepper garlic rub and added a little of each, pretty damn good on some burgers.
Old Bay is good on a ton of stuff...deviled eggs, potato salad, pasta salad, shrimp, crabs, (of course), most fish, fries, corn on the cob, Bloody Mary's, (rim the glass with Old Bay instead of salt), we even sprinkle it on watermelon.

Back