Rotisserie chicken w/pics

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
I read a thread on here a while back about the rotisserie for the Weber 22" kettle. All the bragging about the great chicken it made cost me $139 to order one.

Tried it out tonight. Brined two chickens for an hour or so. Dried them, put lemon wedges inside, seasoned with Tony Chachere's, speared them on, seasoned and trussed them up to prevent flopping.

Used a little less than a chimney starter of Stubbs to fill the two side-holders, with a water pan in the middle, for indirect cooking.

Put the birds on. Adjusted the counter-balance weight. Very easy.

Started out with bottom vents closed. Temp around 400 or a little less. Later on opened it up a crack to keep temp up. Basted at 30 minutes and every 15 minutes after with Roadside Chicken basting recipe. Lost track of time, but guess it took about 2 hours to cook.

The chicken was extraordinarily moist. I've cooked a million beer can chickens. The skin on them was crispier (did not baste them), but I've never had such moist chicken as with this basted rotisserie chicken.

I look forward to trying leg of lamb and rib roast.

DSC_0040-1.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

I use Tony Chachere's for ONE thing. Boiling shrimp. The only reason I use it is to use it up so it's gone. It is so SALTY, you really can't use it for anything else but to dilute it in water.

It's always best to make your SPICE MIXTURE for what you want it to taste like, then add salt for the proportions you are making - i.e. 2 pounds of buffalo vs. 15 pounds of butt. Don't ever add salt to your rubs, or use a rub that already has salt in it. This is probably one of the best BBQ'ing/Grilling/FLAT OUT COOKING techniques that Kevin Kruger taught me. No Salt is an excellent thing. Only add it when you are in control of it at all times. AND THEN - Use only really excellent Diamond Crystal Kosher or Maldon Sea Salt. All those rubs you buy have inferior salt in them. Trust me. There is a big difference in salt. If it's iodized - BLEECCCHH!

I too bought a Weber Rotisserie back in March and it is wonderful for chicken, lamb and pork. Not every piece of pork has to be smoked and slow cooked to be moist and juicy.

I make my rubs for smoking brisket, butts, ribs, etc, but for grilling chicken I usually go with Tony's or just S&P.

We don't each much of the skin, tempting as it is, so the seasoning on it is not a big deal.

Don't be dissing Tony's. Around here, we put it on everything from French Fries to Frosted Flakes.

Don't be dissin' the skin. It's the best part around here! Especially when you do your own rub without salt! Salt the bird first, then apply the rub. Thxgiving turkey is always the best. Don't forget to ask what kind of salt your proprietors use in their rubs. Betcha it's cheap stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't be dissin' the skin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hear, hear!

I just roasted a chicken for quesadillas for later. Ate all the skin while I cut the meat off the bone. My favorite.

Go for the lamb, Chris, bone-in or boned. Terrfic on a rotis. Try ths at some point.

Your chicken looks terrific.

Kevin, I've got a deboned leg of lamb from Sams in my freezer.

It is definitely going to be the recipient of your Dirty Martini marinade, maybe next weekend.

Thanks for the tip!

Glad to see others are getting in on the rotisserie thing! I totally agree on the moist and juicy meat.

If you do want to crisp the skin up further, leave all your vents open and run it hotter. I've been running mine around 550 and getting wonderful skin, without losing the moist meat. Of course, it was also done in an hour, so adjust your cooking times accordingly.

Bill

Just a useless post to say I AGREE, rotisserie <insert favorite cut of meat here> rocks!!
icon_smile.gif
I love the fact that using the rotis on the kettle is about as easy as the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie Oven.....you know, the "Set it and forget it!" infomercial from Ron Popeil??
icon_smile.gif
Light chimney full of coals, go inside, prep chicken/lamb/pork/beef, split coals into two charcoal baskets (or just bank on opposite sides), load spit, turn on motor, replace lid. How hard is that?
icon_smile.gif

Ok, done with useless post now.....

R

I did another two-chicken cook on the rotisserie last night. This time I had no time to brine. I just seasoned them, put lemons inside, and put them on for about 2 hours.

Perfect. Moist through and through. The rotisserie continues to impress the heck out of me.

Back