Rotisserie + brining advice

Bill, I don't understand what you just posted, if the product IS balanced the counterweight is superfluous, isn't it? I think we are mostly in agreement but, it may be a "spellcheck" glitch.
My understanding is the counterweight is used to get things evenly balanced and not put undue stress on the motor. Balance is balance regardless of weight. If it's balanced, it should not have loads and crashes on the spit at all. It should be a gentle simple turning not, fast, bang slow, bang, fast.
A brace of 5lb. chickens can be out of balance and cause more trouble for the motor than a 20lb. turkey which is properly spitted.
Not picking at anyone but, trying to get this clear.
For what it's worth, I have well over 400 turkeys under my belt and have never felt the need to turn and burn them, straight indirect kettle work has made many many guests very happy? Just one mans opinion.

Tim,
you are absolutely correct, I meant to say 'decidedly UNbalanced', good catch; a dain-bramaged moment on my part.

And I bow to you, you've done over 400 turkeys, wow. I've only done about three dozen thanksgiving birds, all but one straight up indirect kettle, as you have.

My spouse has decided the only way she like me to do roast chicken, however, is on the spit, rather than indirect. So she is considering whether she wants me to do this year's turkey on the spit, also.
(and I like to say 'i always do what you say, dear'......grin)

Daum,

Just curious, about how long did the 20# bird take to cook @350° on the spit and what were your int. temps?

Thanks Al

The spit bird ended up being a 16.5 pounder. It took 3.25 or so hours, to breast at 165, thighs were 182.

Daum

For years I had people asking me to do a turkey for them Bill, that's how the number got so high. I get dain bramaged this time of year pretty regularly, no worries. I was showing people how to grill and carve a turkey almost weekly for someone it seemed. Now, I think I've taught pretty much everyone I know how and the demand has subsided. Those lessons carried on for almost 20 years.
I have found the old factory spec for time from the black and gold original paper included cookbook of 11 minutes per pound unstuffed(my preferred practice) and 13 per stuffed using indirect method provides excellent results!
Spun chicken has become a serious favorite around here, my grand daughter adores it! It is so easy!

Back