Rotisserie and side burner won't fire up

Gary Winters

Hi there...

I just acquired a 2006 Summit Platinum and going through all the bells and whistles to get it up and running. It was lightly used (and mostly stored) throughout the 13 years it's been around and appears to be in darn good shape. (One downside - the firebox may be warped. The middle grill won't hold it's position and slips off. May or may not address that because I still have four burners working fine, and there's typically only two of us here to cook for.)

But I'm having some trouble with the rotisserie and side burners. I'm following the instructions on the hood, but I can't get either one to light. On the rotisserie, I can see (and hear) the spark clicking away - but even after holding it on for 20 seconds or so, it fails to light. I also can't get the side burner to fire up. All six of the regular burners fire up just fine.

What are my next steps to correct this situation?

Seems pretty clear you are not getting gas flow to your side burner and rear burner. Hard to diagnose in the blind, but I would start with looking at the fuel lines to be sure everything is ok. Next might be an issue with your manifold.

I hope you can get it fully functional and that the warping you mention isn't beyond hope. I despise the current Summits, but the Platinum one you acquired, I think, is a real winner. It has issues such as the cost of replacing the flavorizer bars, and you do need to look closely at the firebox to see that there is no rust starting or burn-through. But a stainless frame and stainless cabinetry are GREAT things! It is the way Weber should make all their nicer grills. Yours is a two-year only model, so you are blessed to have gotten it.

Thanks! I found out I can light both the side burner and the rotisserie manually. Still trying to figure out why they won't go on with the ignitor.

Back