Root Beer Beans

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
1631031100392.jpg

Root Beer Beans​

Vegtables
Prep Time: 10 minutres Cook Time: 45 minutes Difficulty: Easy Servings: 6 servings Source: Unknown, quite old

INGREDIENTS​

3 slices applewood-smoked bacon, sliced crosswise into 1 inch pieces
1 3/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
2 15 ounce cans cannellini beans, 1 can only drained and rinsed
3/4 cup Root Beer (preferably artisans)
1 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon mild-flavored (light) molasses
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

DIRECTIONS​

1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Cook bacon in ovenproof pot over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally
3. Using slotted spoon, transfer back to paper towels
4. Add onions to drippings in pot, cook until beginning to brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes
5. Add garlic, stir 1 minute
6. Add beans, root beer, vinegar, molasses, tomato paste, mustard, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper
7. Stir in bacon, bring to a boil
8.Transfer to oven, bake uncovered until liquid thickens, about 30 minutes

NOTES​

cannellini beans are white kidney beans. Navy beans work well too.
Great when cooked on a grill

Sent from my iPad

Last edited:
OK Mark, are you also giving me a test? lol

Or did you mean to spell beans that way?

BACON & ROOT BEER - Sounds like a winner - THANKS!!!!!!

Mark, guess what I found? While working on my vegetable binders (bean sections) I came across this recipe, but the original one that I had cut out of the magazine. What you had posted was for 1/2 of this recipe. It was printed in a Bon Appetit mag. July, 2010. And it is a "Rick Rodgers" recipe. It also came with a full size photo of the baked beans and they really look delicious.

Mark, guess what I found? While working on my vegetable binders (bean sections) I came across this recipe, but the original one that I had cut out of the magazine. What you had posted was for 1/2 of this recipe. It was printed in a Bon Appetit mag. July, 2010. And it is a "Rick Rodgers" recipe. It also came with a full size photo of the baked beans and they really look delicious.
That is too cool. I’ve made them many times. The trick is to use good root beer (not mug). Also, only partially drain the beans.

You can bet I will get the best root beer available (I LOVE root beer). Thanks for the tip.

My pleasure. I am a root beer junkie. My uncle, when we were kids, ran the Hires Root Beer plant in LA. One of my most favorite memories as a 5 year old was when dad broke out the ice cream maker. We knew uncle Pete was inbound with the root beer. Back then, Hires was naturally made. Root beer floats with home made ice cream……

OH!!!! One very lucky man.

Would today's Hires root beer be a good choice for this recipe?

Yep. Makes me feel good. This is a wonderful forum with amazing members and a fearless leader beyond compare (Chris!) But he never wears the eye patch???
1635451791762.png
Note: This is fearless leader from Bullwinkle fame. Us older members will remember him.

Have learned so much and love contributing! Thanks Chris for all you work to make TVWB the best BBQ forum in the country.

Last edited:

Back