Rookie question

Clay W

Hey guys and gals,
My WSM 18" should be here tomorrow according to the tracking info. I'm just going to smoke one slab of spares on it to start with. I'm new to smoking and im not sure how much blue k to start with for just one rack. I also have the Weber chimney starter, a bag of apple wood chunks and cherry chunks coming. I made some of Steve Petrones's #5 sauce off of the recipes forum tonight.....Man it's good. Thanks for the help.

Clay,just load the ring with K. Leave enough room for the lit and chunks. After the ribs are done (remember,they are done when they are done),shut your vents down and that will smother the coals so you can use whats left for your second cook! Enjoy your WSM. While it's not the most used piece of equipment I have,it's definately my favorite to use!

For spares, i use one whole chimney of K with a whole chimney of lit K poured on top of it. Pan about 2/3 full of hot water. Cook at 240-250, at the lid vent, for 6-7 hours. It's as easy to cook 2 racks as one. Good luck

Welcome Clay,

I use a process like Phil describes. For further help on ribs and many other cooks, check out the Cooking Topics section. There's a lot of excellent directions and tips to be found there. Here's a link to the BRITU recipe.

Paul

Clay, I would suggest using the info Chris has put on this site. GO back and research how to do it. He gives very easy directions from start to finish. It's a good place to start. As you get more experienced you can tailor things to the way you like 'em. Good luck with your cook
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the great info guys. I have them on the smoker now...I will update with pics later so you can laugh at me.

Originally posted by Bill_W:
For spares, i use one whole chimney of K with a whole chimney of lit K poured on top of it. Pan about 2/3 full of hot water. Cook at 240-250, at the lid vent, for 6-7 hours. It's as easy to cook 2 racks as one. Good luck

Can you really get 7hrs cook time off this method? Seems like a full lit chimney would burn too fast. I like the simplicity of this method.

Originally posted by Shane R:
What were the cooking times and temps of those ?

I threw everything on at the same time... 6 hours total, temps varied from 220 to 250. My first smoke, im just happy they were edible.The spares were actually really good, i hit them with Steve Petrones #5 sauce about 20 minutes before i pulled them off. I added some honey to his recipe which he recommended for ribs.

Back