Rookie Mistake

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
So I have a pork butt going on 10 hours after overnight. So what do I do? I start stiring the coals to kick up the heat and....then I take the cover off to check internal and my butt is white!!! Now I have ash all over the butt. I dumped apple juice on it to rinse her off. You guys think its going to be okay?
Rick

Do you have a spray bottle with adjustable nozzle? Try spraying apple juice with a much harder stream than if you were spritzing. You may wash off some of the rub on the outside, so maybe add another dusting of rub.

Well a little ash never killed no one, but alot might! You can probably spray most of it off, at the least you can cut off the "ash bark" and eat the meat under it. All part of the WSM learning curve!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan Gardner:
How do you prevent ashes from flying up when you knock the coals around after 10 hours? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do it very carefully
icon_smile.gif
! Just kidding - one technique is to tap the legs of the charcoal bowl. This hasn't worked well for me. Another is to take a broom handle or some type of thin pole and tap the edges of the charcoal ring through the access door. This works pretty well.

Paul

I don't stir them so much as I gently move them around letting the ash fall through the grate. I haven't had a big problem with ash flying around, but there is some, I'm sure. My go-to tool for this is the double-prong thing-a-ma-jig that comes in the Weber grilling tools set. I've never found any other use for it, so maybe this is what it was designed for. Every time before "stirring", I tap the legs hoping to see the temperature go up and I am dissapointed every time. Not sure if this is some sort of modern-day snipe hunt perpetuated by veterans with a sense of humor or if my leg tapping technique is inadequate.

Pete,

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't know what to do with that tool. Seeing as I had no use for it I also use mine to gently push the coals around. I've never noticed coals or a taste of coals on my food.

Josh

You could wrap your meat in tin foil before you disturb any ash. After 10 hours the meat should be in the 165-170 area and finsh the cook in the foil
icon_wink.gif

Back