Rookie Briskett Adventure

G

I used the Standard method to light FAR too much charcoal for my small briskett and Baby Back Ribs.

Once I got the temps stabilized down to 310f I loaded my Briskett and Ribs and topped off the water. Proudly I watched on my digital remote themometer and confirmed with my analog backup that the temps came right down to 250.

Then began to shoot back to 300.
icon_frown.gif

Long story short, I performed a risky and highly experimental De-fueling procedure with great results.

Now in mid-smoke I've got the temps nailed at 233 on both the digital (Crap Maverick) and analog guage.

I just looked over my shoulder and saw 227f on the digital guage. I opened all 3 lower vents from 20% open to about 30% open. The smoker quickly responded and is right back to stable at 233.

I'm a pilot for my real life and this is about as much fun as flying airplanes!

I'll try to post a picture of my WSM lid. It looks like the cockpit of a B52 with all the guages!

Tom Johnson
Phoenix, AZ

So.
Here I am.

I had a wonderful dinner from the local Greek place.

My Briskett hit 148 at 6pm.
It is now 10pm and it has reached a schorching 158.

I'm calling a "Mayday" and pulling the plug.

Why did I buy a 3lb Briskett from Safeway.
Why won't it heat up.

I'm gonna have another drink and put that beeatch on the Gas BBQ and make some noize!

Frustrated.
Tj

sorry to hear about your frustration. there's a reason brisket is considered the mt. everest of barbecue. i've never had one cook in less than 14 hours regardless the size.

there are a couple things you can do to speed things up the next time you try a brisket. most are covered here. the easist is foiling and finishing in the oven.

I usually plan on 1.5 hours per pound. I usually start out at lower grate temp for first few hours (220-225) then increase grate temp as needed (240-250).
I find that the smaller flats (3 lbs) can take a lot longer time to cook per pound, thus I stick to the bigger flats.

Every cut can cook really different though, which is why this can be so much fun.

hi Tom -

I've never cooked a brisket flat smaller than 6 pounds... However, when I cook full flats (6-8 pounds) they usually only take me 5-6 hours. Here's how I do it:

I cook mine at around 250-275, once the meat hits 165-170, I foil it until it hits 185. Once it is foiled, I let the temps wander north to around 275-300.

With 3 pounder, you could try that method... it would be done in nearly no time at all. Even if you don't do the higher temp method on flats, I would foil... I find small flats dry out before they get tender.

i must be a glutton for punishment. to me half the enjoyment of cooking and eating brisket is the long cook.
icon_razz.gif

Thanks for everyones help.

I pulled the little fella off the smoker and dissected it.

It was dry and tough. I don't think it would have ever hit any correct temperature. It was DONE!

Why so dry?
1) Perhaps not so great a cut?
2) Too long dry-marinade? (it sat in dry-rub for 24hours . . too long and the salts pull out the moisture?)
3) Too high initial temps in the smoker I could not control? (~300).

If it was easy I guess everyone would do it.
Tj

As mentioned, smaller flats don't necessarily cook in shorter times. I cooked a three pound store-bought corned beef flat a couple of weeks ago (cheater's pastrami :) ), and it went 12 hours and never got above 160 degrees! i finally got bored and pulled it and stuck it in the fridge. The next day, I put it in a cover roasting pan on a rack with water and apple juice under it, and cooked it at 300 for a couple of hours. When i checked it, it was at 185, so I took it out and sliced it. It was actually very moist and tasty! I think the moist environment in the roasting pan helped out a lot!

Tom, they say the same thing about flying!!! Practice ,practice,practice.
Originally posted by Tom Johnson:
Thanks for everyones help.

I pulled the little fella off the smoker and dissected it.

It was dry and tough. I don't think it would have ever hit any correct temperature. It was DONE!

Why so dry?
1) Perhaps not so great a cut?
2) Too long dry-marinade? (it sat in dry-rub for 24hours . . too long and the salts pull out the moisture?)
3) Too high initial temps in the smoker I could not control? (~300).

If it was easy I guess everyone would do it.
Tj

Tom, briskets have traditionally been a tough cut of meat to master on the smoker. Just because they're small doesn't mean they'll cook faster either. A six pound flat takes me a couple hours more to cook than a fifteen pound packer.

call me crazy, but I don't see any benefit in flats by cooking them forever. 12 hours for a 5 pounder, for me, would equal a dry flat. Packers are a different story, obviously.

But flats, if they are stuck in a plateau for hours at 160, I don't see a point in not wrapping in foil and getting that sucker up to 185+. Too often they start to dry out before they get to their target temp.

try the foil/towel/cooler trick.

When the brikset is done and reaches your internal target temp, take it off and wrap it in heavy duty foil, adding abou 1/4 cup of apple juice or beef broth. Whatever you like. Then wrap it in a second layer of foil, then in a couple of old car wash towels from the garage. Then put the whole thing in an empty cooler, no ice, for an hour at least. Then unwrap the whole thing and start slicing. It will be lovely, juicy, and tender.

And yeah, Brisket is the holy grail of BBQ. It takes practice, but you'll get it.

I went from using a crappy stick burner to trying brisket on my very first cook on the WSM. Compared to that stick burner my WSM experience was heavenly. But it took me a few times to get better at the brisket. Time is your friend. Don't give yourself any deadlines for your first few briskets. Cook them until they're tender, however long that takes. Then do the foil/towel/cooler trick. You'll be glad you did!

Back