Rolling Cart for WSM

Harbor Freight Cart for a 22.5" WSM

I was looking at that cart at HF this weekend, wondering if it would fit my 22.5" WSM. Turns out, it will:

02609pg.jpg
I was looking to do something similar for my 18.5. May I ask why you contoured around the body instead of just a straight channel? seems it would be easier to empty /clean / fill pan

my Harbor Freight cart Mod...
That is a beaut. Please provide specifics: What material did you use for the outline/cutout of the top tray so I don't have a metal edge to avoid scratching? Is that rubber or lavalock insulator? I saw the same cart in Black & Red at Harbour Freight for $60.00 and if you have the 20% off coupon, $48.00.

That is a beaut. Please provide specifics: What material did you use for the outline/cutout of the top tray so I don't have a metal edge to avoid scratching? Is that rubber or lavalock insulator? I saw the same cart in Black & Red at Harbour Freight for $60.00 and if you have the 20% off coupon, $48.00.

I found center on the cart I actually took a white out pen and drew around the top cover where I wanted it. I took a dremel with cutoff wheels - went through about 8 of the little cutting discs.

The rubber is from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07C93LDM6/tvwb-20

5 ft fit perfectly.

It is the black one - not the red one at harbor freight. The 20% does not work on the carts

I have been wanting to do this for a while. Harbor Freight just opened in town, so I picked up a cart today.

IMG_20200702_215706.jpg

I have been wanting to do this for a while. Harbor Freight just opened in town, so I picked up a cart today.

View attachment 8365
Nice job, you made quick work of it!
These aren't easy to come by, but I finally picked one up today. I struck out at multiple stores last week, and 30 mins after calling them this morning (when they had a few in stock), I walked in and bought the last one. TVWBB effect? :unsure:

Just a thought.

If you need to remove the stack for reloading coals, etc., you'll have to lift it pretty high to clear the top of the cart. Might be a chore if you have two butts and H2O in the water pan.

Last edited:
Anyone considered the Royal Gourmet BBQ cart as an alternative to the Harbor Freight cart or the Bullet Truck?

Top is 34x20, so just slightly smaller than the HF model (24x36). Should be big enough for an 18, but not a 22. $79 at Walmart.

Thoughts?

Never mind the RG cart -- I'm going with the Harbor Freight cart.

For a 18.5 WSM, what diameter circle should I cut out? I was thinking 20 inches, but in a horseshoe shape rather than a circle or keyhole.

I plan to cover the sharp edge with rubber edging. So I want a little space to be able to get the barrel in and out and not so close to melt the edging. But not too much space.

Never mind the RG cart -- I'm going with the Harbor Freight cart.

For a 18.5 WSM, what diameter circle should I cut out? I was thinking 20 inches, but in a horseshoe shape rather than a circle or keyhole.

I plan to cover the sharp edge with rubber edging. So I want a little space to be able to get the barrel in and out and not so close to melt the edging. But not too much space.

Not sure what others have used, but this works great for edging on thin material like the carts table top.

I did the Harbor Freight cart over the weekend. Even for a two-thumber like me, it was very straightforward and turned out great.

As suggested above, I used a $35 power nibbler attachment to my drill from Amazon to cut out the horse shoe. Very simple to use. Just traced the outline with a marker and free handed it. Since the nibbler isn't a sharp metal cutter there's no sparks and no anxiety about severing digits. It is more like a power puncher.

The nibbler leaves a nice smooth edge, which I covered with the rubber edging suggested above by Jeff. So no worries about scratches when moving the barrel. The edging also covers up any minor nibbling errors made along the way. Although in a few places my nibbling go too wave-ey for the edging to conceal. I may have to go back and clean that up -- or not.

I went with a horse shoe rather than a circle or keyhole cut out. Provides easy access to the door and makes it easier to assemble/disassemble the cooker.

FYI, those 24x36 oil drip pans slide almost perfectly into the sides. So you can use them as wind screens with no fasteners needed to hold them in place.

Thanks for all the tips.

Attachments

• cart1.jpg
    cart1.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 160
  • cart2.jpg
    cart2.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 162

Back