Rockport TX IBCA

GaryP

TVWBB Pro
Rolled out this weekend and cooked within a stones throw to the Gulf. Tried a completely new brisket recipe and different chicken cooking method. Both have been getting me walks, but I need to break into the top three consistently.

The chicken I cooked on the top shelf of the Jambo where it is much hotter than grate temp. Most guys that win are cooking their birds on a kettle or PK so I was trying higher heat. It went faster than I had anticipated and I overshot my temp a bit. But overall I liked it and will try again. Brisket was a new rub and mop along with just a slight brush of sauce on the top. After turning in, I forgot to hit them with the finish dust and I believe it cost me. Ribs were same as always, and got me paid.

14th chicken
10th ribs
12th brisket

12th overall out of 33 teams. There were some very strong comp teams that ended up with no calls so it was a decent weekend. Had fun with a great group of cookers. Next up is ingleside at the end of the month. I think the only photo I took was the brisket box. IMG20240504150502.jpg

Back