Roasted whole onion

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone have a recipe for roasting a whole onion on the grill or WSM? I want to try it for dinner tonight but am not sure how to go about it. Do you core it and fill it with something?
Indirect or direct cooking?
Leave the skin on or remove it? Any help would be appreciated.

Paula Deen has a good recipe called Friday Night Vidalias.
She cored the center out of and onion and then put in one beef bullion cube and a Tblsp of butter. Wrapped it in foil and grilled it for 30-45 min. It is wonderful, but is a lot like eating french onion soup. Also, I use the low sodium bullion powder.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S:
Paula Deen has a good recipe called Friday Night Vidalias.
She cored the center out of and onion and then put in one beef bullion cube and a Tblsp of butter. Wrapped it in foil and grilled it for 30-45 min. It is wonderful, but is a lot like eating french onion soup. Also, I use the low sodium bullion powder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeff, That does sounds great, and alot like. I'm off topic here but while your doing up some onions, you could make this too. Thanks to Keri C for poosting this recipe, which is very similar to.........
icon_biggrin.gif
Anyway it's good. Smoked Cabbage

Here's the smoked cabbage I cooked at Smokestock back in the Fall of 2003. Bryan S., Bruce B., Les and myself (and some family members) met at Les' place just north of Pittsburgh for some great Q and fellowship! What a great time!!

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

1000017medac5.jpg

Looks pretty much like it's supposed to!
icon_smile.gif
I had not seen Paula Deen's onion recipe, but it does sound just like the way we originally learned to do cabbages. I may throw a couple on the cooker at Sallisaw this weekend for comp munchies. We first saw cabbages done in this manner in... uh... 1993, I guess, and we've been doing them like that ever since. It was our first big campout with the Gold Wing chapter the year after we bought our first 'Wing. Watching the chief-cabbage-cook doing the prep, we couldn't imagine that they would be any good since neither Robert nor I really care that much for cabbage, but magic happened inside that foil!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Keri C

Stopped at the Amish farm on the way home from work Friday. Saw some onions there that were labled "Candy Onions" so I asked the lady about them. She said they are sweet and she just dug out the first ones of the year that morning. They were 3 for $2.00 so I scored 3 of them. Just pulled off the 4 butts and put two of the Candy O's on. I have the WSM setup in grill mode. Burgers going on soon. Link to pics.
EDIT: It was outstanding. Great sweet onion flavor. I'll be going back for more of those O's while they are in season.
icon_biggrin.gif

I gotta tell you that doing these onions with the Beef cube (Knorr) and butter was over the top. Yes it was like French Onion soup in a foil bowl, just wish I would have put some cheese on top. This a fantastic way to make grilled onions. And I'll be making them this way more often than not.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Isn't putting it in foil more like steaming it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you close the foil, yes. I wanted french "whole onion" soup in a foil bowl. I did the foil so I could keep all the juice, butter and beef broth in there. Just ate the other one for lunch at work. Gave some to my guys, they loved it.

OK Bryan, I have to try it this week. I'll put the onion in a small foil pan to catch the juice. I can smell and taste it already.

Has anyone ever tried this with vegetarian bouillon?

I only ask because, God help me, I seem to be inexplicably amassing vegetarian friends. Typically, I befriend a meat eater who comes attached with a vegetarian, or the more trendy pescetarian (I refer to them as "people who will eat anything that wasn't cute").

I'd like to be able to make a vegetarian-friendly option for these people and their hard-to-fathom philosophy. I'm sure it wouldn't taste as good as the beef bouillon ones, but that's not my problem. In my experience, flavor and taste aren't really that high on a vegetarian's priority scale.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Ferdman:
Has anyone ever tried this with vegetarian bouillon?
I'd like to be able to make a vegetarian-friendly option for these people and their hard-to-fathom philosophy. I'm sure it wouldn't taste as good as the beef bouillon ones, but that's not my problem. In my experience, flavor and taste aren't really that high on a vegetarian's priority scale. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never did but it would prob taste just fine with the veg bouillon. Agreed not as good as beef but I'll bet it's still mighty tastey.
icon_wink.gif

We use the same recipe but also add a splash of worchestire to it. We seal them in the foil and it does come out just like french onion soup in a bowl. Huge crowd pleaser!

I did two last night. I didn't wrap them. Instead I put them in a little aluminum pan. After I cored them I put a low salt beef bouillon cube in them with butter and a splash of sherry. YUUUUMMMMMM

Next time I'm going to replace the bouillon with soy sauce.

Back