Roasted rack of lamb

Yes fresh cut local wood is even better then kiln dried. I recently added this device to my arsenal, it helps knowing ahead of time how dry or moist the wood is:

I agree. I just made some plum wood in January which I’ll cook with soon as the parts I kept were 3-4” diameter, various lengths. The white oak I got last year has been excellent. I left the logs outside to dry naturally and made chunks from those. Terrific smoke flavor. It’s been great on beef and chicken.

We are close to major stone fruit orchards, olive groves, apple, pear and cherry too. Just about everything grows and is grown in our region in CA.

Craigslist even has choose your beef. You can buy a whole, half or quarter.

Lots of fruit farms around here, I need to “cultivate” some of the farmers more deeply over the summer, there are several apple, peach, pear and cherry orchards not far from me. Just need to be nice around “thinning time”.

Lots of fruit farms around here, I need to “cultivate” some of the farmers more deeply over the summer, there are several apple, peach, pear and cherry orchards not far from me. Just need to be nice around “thinning time”.
i'd assume they thin in spring? the smaller branches/trimmings are just fine for added smoke flavor. chunks for longer cooks when they remove trees from the orchard.

i am thinking of using some zinfandel wine oak barrel wood this weekend on either tri tips or making a pastrami from a CB we just picked up (thanks @ChuckO for the winco CBs post. wife was able to buy 3 when the limit was two, without questions).

i'd really like to see you do that pistachio crust. i think those flavors would go really well. we can't do pistach (as well as cashew and hazelnut) as my daughter is highly allergic. so i'll have to live vicariously here.

on a side note, have you used/made a pomegranate molasses lamb? this recipe is on my summer cook list: https://www.proportionalplate.com/pomegranate-molasses-lamb/

Last edited:

Back