Roast pork (char siu) chow mein

I buy lots of **** and it never seems to work as good in my hands as yours or Rich’s. Hahahaha! Inspiring as usual!!
Thank you. And Rich thanks you too.

I’ve been woking for 25 years. I’ve made some dishes I’d never share out of sheer embarrassment. But the more I cook, the better I become.

And the internet has made me a much better cook.

Buy the wok and burn some food. It’s okay.

You’ll figure it out. We all do. I believe in you. Go for it!

Thank you. And Rich thanks you too.

I’ve been woking for 25 years. I’ve made some dishes I’d never share out of sheer embarrassment. But the more I cook, the better I become.

And the internet has made me a much better cook.

Buy the wok and burn some food. It’s okay.

You’ll figure it out. We all do. I believe in you. Go for it!
Haha, I have a ton of respect for all of you guys who put in that extra effort, it truly shows.
I could name a ton of you I admire but would hate to forget any. We all see who goes above and beyond in the prep and it shows.
I am always inspired by you all.
As for my cooking, my wife would say sometimes you amaze me, the other times not so much.

Haha, I have a ton of respect for all of you guys who put in that extra effort, it truly shows.
I could name a ton of you I admire but would hate to forget any. We all see who goes above and beyond in the prep and it shows.
I am always inspired by you all.
As for my cooking, my wife would say sometimes you amaze me, the other times not so much.
It’s because we’re crazy. And, if I can speak to this group, we enjoy playing and experimenting with food.

Next weekend is a big brisket for some friends at our place. Doing it for the company and relaxation. It’s good to spend time with people you like. Food just makes it more social and fun.

Last edited:
It’s because we’re crazy. And, if I can speak to this group, we enjoy playing and experimenting with food.

Next weekend is a big brisket for some friends at our place. Doing it for the company and relaxation. It’s good to spend time with people you like. Food just makes it more social and fun.
We are doing Father’s Day a week early this weekend coming.....I as well am making brisket for the boys.
We leave for holidays on Father’s Day, so getting it in...it might be another legendary thread of holiday cooks as I am taking the JJ again and lots of meat, hopefully getting some nice pickerel cooks in too....the wife wanted me to take her on a fishing holiday and man do I have one setup for her.
Sounds like a brisket cook off 🤪
I’m doing 9 pound brisket and I think a 9 pound pulled pork...or 2 dizzy chickens for the wives with the brisket.
I was also going to do an overnight on the E6.....I have 4 points only in the freezer, all around 9 pounds.
My butcher is good, whole or pieces....feel bad for the people that only go home with flats.
I just seen chucks thread about his overnight brisket cook, makes me second guess it but I have never finished brisket in 8 hours before.

So what is your cook going to go like...overnight or just very early in the morning?

We are doing Father’s Day a week early this weekend coming.....I as well am making brisket for the boys.
We leave for holidays on Father’s Day, so getting it in...it might be another legendary thread of holiday cooks as I am taking the JJ again and lots of meat, hopefully getting some nice pickerel cooks in too....the wife wanted me to take her on a fishing holiday and man do I have one setup for her.
Sounds like a brisket cook off 🤪
I’m doing 9 pound brisket and I think a 9 pound pulled pork...or 2 dizzy chickens for the wives with the brisket.
I was also going to do an overnight on the E6.....I have 4 points only in the freezer, all around 9 pounds.
My butcher is good, whole or pieces....feel bad for the people that only go home with flats.
I just seen chucks thread about his overnight brisket cook, makes me second guess it but I have never finished brisket in 8 hours before.

So what is your cook going to go like...overnight or just very early in the morning?
Brisket will be a 15-17#. We’ll be 10-12 people, I think.

I’m thinking of starting at 11p and a large drip pan with all apple juice in it for moisture. Around 250° smoke cook using CA white oak chunks.

I’ll buy at Costco as they tend to have a nice selection by us. It’ll be a whole packer.

Will trim and salt brine exposed in fridge night before, and then pepper, gran garlic and shiitake powder and maybe a small dash of Montreal seasoning.

Estimating the cook will go 10-12 hours at 250 for this jumbo brisket. Thinking with a full apple juice pan I won’t need to wrap. Still researching this method.

Figure I’ll have a 3-4 hour rest on this one. Fingers crossed. The Signals will be my god and guide on this cook.

Going to make 2-3 sauces for plating. Salt Lick original, a vinegary type sauce and a modded SBR WTH ACV and some heat added into it. Like some ground Thai chilis I’ve got.

A few aides and some cowboy beans too.

Last edited:
Brisket will be a 15-17#. We’ll be 10-12 people, I think.

I’m thinking of starting at 11p and a little large drip pan with all apple juice in it for moisture. Around 250° smoke cook using CA white oak chunks.

I’ll buy at Costco as they tend to have a nice selection by us. It’ll be a whole packer.

Will trim and salt brine exposed in fridge night before, and then pepper, gran garlic and shiitake powder and maybe a small dash of Montreal seasoning.

Estimating the cook will go 10-12 hours at 250 for this jumbo brisket. Thinking with a full apple juice pan I won’t need to wrap. Still researching this method.

Figure I’ll have a 3-4 hour rest on this one. Fingers crossed. The Signals will be my god and guide on this cook.

Going to make 2-3 sauces for plating. Salt Lick original, a vinegary type sauce and a modded SBR WTH ACV and some heat added into it. Like some ground Thai chilis I’ve got.

A few aides and some cowboy beans too.
Well thought out....
I’m going salt n pepper this time only.
Not much for sauce, I know my guests......
I think same things along no wrap, 250 cook, at least 12 hours, the points are very thick and looking for 4 hours rest time.
Cooking for 6......the point and 2 - 3.5 pound birds on the performer spinning.
Thinking smoked brown beans...and well the cookers are full from there..maybe some sort of veggie, probably a salad to keep it healthy right?
Hopefully we can share a thread and have some fun.

Looks great, Brett! ....and, for sure, just love to play with my food (in a productive manner!) 🤣 At least as many failures along the way, but typically have learned something from them all. :)

I'm planning some mu shu (including pancakes) in the wok for this week. 👍🏼

R

Looks great, Brett! ....and, for sure, just love to play with my food (in a productive manner!) 🤣 At least as many failures along the way, but typically have learned something from them all. :)

I'm planning some mu shu (including pancakes) in the wok for this week. 👍🏼

R
Costco pork loins make great mu shu. I’ve used that cut before with excellent results. And lots of wood ear fungus. Dried or fresh. Sounds like an excellent dinner coming up, Rich. Looking forward to your pics.

Well thought out....
I’m going salt n pepper this time only.
Not much for sauce, I know my guests......
I think same things along no wrap, 250 cook, at least 12 hours, the points are very thick and looking for 4 hours rest time.
Cooking for 6......the point and 2 - 3.5 pound birds on the performer spinning.
Thinking smoked brown beans...and well the cookers are full from there..maybe some sort of veggie, probably a salad to keep it healthy right?
Hopefully we can share a thread and have some fun.
Lets do that. I’ll probably buy mine tmrw or Monday.

Sounds good, I have my cut already, but let the dinner play out.
Let the goodness begin.
Brett & Darryl odd weekend brisket cookout deliciousness.??

Last edited:
I told you, I’d come for the leftovers from that initial cook!
I didn’t grab pic but I did make char siu burritos the other night. Sliced up the pork, pan heated it with some hoisin and a pinch of brown sugar.

Steamed jasmine rice, a slight spread of hoisin on a warmed tortilla, fresh chopped cilantro, minced green onion and a small amount of sambal sauce.

That and a cold beer. Very yum!

Back