Roast beef game plan

William E.

This will be my 5th smoke on my new WSM.

I have a 7.8 pound Top Sirloin Roast that will be rubbed tonight with Kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. The roast is 6 inches thick at one end and 4 at the other. I have tried smoking beef once before (did this last year with a Brinkmann ECB) and it was a disaster (dried out and tough). So far I have never had a problem with pork or chicken….

The roast will sit at room temperature tomorrow morning for two hours prior to smoking. Saturday’s weather will be clear, 70ºF with a 15 mph wind.

I will be using an 18.5 inch WSM with sand in the water pan running at 250ºF. The internal temperature will be monitored with a probe attached to a ChefAlarm digital thermometer. I am aiming to pull the roast off when the IT reaches 140ºF. At that time the roast will be seared on a very hot BBQ grill. I am planning on FTC’ing the roast for a minimum of 30-45 minutes, longer if it finishes too early.

The family is expecting dinner at 6:30PM. The family, except for me, will not tolerate anything less than medium.

With the above conditions, I am planning on a 5 hour smoke.

Is my reasoning sound? Will keeping it for an extended time FTC’d shoot up the IT wrecking the meat’s moisture and tenderness?

Cheers,

Bill

Well, your plan sounds fine, but if you are going to do both a reverse sear and FTC, I would pull the roast closer to 230 f.

It does, however, look like my response to your question might have come late, so let us know how your cook went.

You are right I smoked on Saturday and the roast was enjoyed by all.* I followed the “game plan” to the letter. The roast reached the 140*F IT at the four hour mark.* FTC'd it for an hour and 15 minutes (was waiting for all the guests to arrive).* Next time I will pull it just after 130*F is reached as I would have liked it a little more pink.

Now its time to another beef cut to smoke next weekend.* Right now I chicken and porked out!

Thanks for responding and confirming the pulling of the roast at 130*F.

Try turkey legs first. You can marinate a couple in Sprite like they do at the fairs. Legs are easy in the wsm
But for whole turkey the kettle seems easier to me.

Smoked turkeys are one of my favorites! Are you planning low and slow (I.e <275) or hot and fast (I.e. > 300)?

So far, low and slow. Still have a lot of data mining and reading to do from this site to come up with the next game plan.

Cheers.

Back