rind on or rind off?

J Sutter

Hi-
I am planning on cold smoking some bacon. While I've found a few recipes, what I haven't foind is any consensus on whether the rind should be on or off. Anybody have experience with this?
Thanks

I say off. There's more surface area for the smoke to "stick to". Save that rind for deep frying into a tasty low-carb treat.
icon_smile.gif

Well you probably won't find any consensus here in the long run either on this one. For now you will though, I agree with Dan. I take it off presmoke. I never used to but it's easy to do and I personally like the end product better.

Clark

I do it both ways. I rather like it sliced skin-on then fried. Most people are not familiar with it that way so I often cure some with, some without.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Sutter:
Thanks. For the first one I'll go with the rind off.
Jed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO, that's your best bet. I always leave it on then say why the Hell didn't I remove it before smoking the bacon.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Today is my first belly. I've left the skin on. Since I don't have anything to compare it to, I figured I'd use the smoked skin for beans if I didn't like the texture. Also have buckboard below it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Sutter:
Um, what's a buckboard? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do a find on "buckboard bacon". It's a kind of barbecuer's bacon using pork butt.

Back