Rigging a Rib Rack?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I plan on smoking a bunch of ribs on my WSM at some point this summer. I was thinking about getting a rib rack or two, but I have an abundance of wooden skewers from using the rib rolling method a few times. Can I just stand all of the ribs on their sides and run skewers through, perpendicular to the ribs so they will support each other instead of buying a rib rack? Has anyone ever tried this? I figure by doing this, I can fit more racks on each grate than I could with a rib rack. Ideas?

As long as you don't feel the need to rotate or move them around (since they'd all be connected), I don't see why it wouldn't work.

That sounds good in theory. You need to try it out and report back the results.

The best store bought rib rack I ever bought was at bed bath and beyond. It is one of those v shaped things you put in a pan and put your roast on it. I turn it over and it makes a great rib rack.

I have done 12 slabs of ribs many times on the wsm. using the above rib rack the 2 outside slabs are really crowded because they follow the inside of the smoker. l0 would definately be a bit easier as you could split one of the racks and put 1/2 on each end.

WSM_Rolled_Ribs_07.jpg

12 full racks on a WSM a few weeks ago no rack needed. All rolls had meat side in/bone side out. 4 Rolls of baby backs on the bottom with 4 half slabs meat side up sitting atop the rolls. 6 rolls of spare on top rack. Racks are great but you can get 'er done with a few toothpicks.

HTH,

I have one of those rib racks - I just retired it. It was difficult to keep the racks spaced for circulation, and really a bear to clean.

I found this rack at a local store, maybe there's one near you. Great combo rib/roast rack. Looks like it will be easier to clean too.

This is something that I have really been pondering. I am actively looking to fashion a customized rack for my wsm.

I have thought of cutting and bending the tines of a wsm grate to support a circular pattern of ribs.

Not small rolled up racks but more of a curved formation that follows the radius of the grate.

I have it designed in my head but that is as far as I have gone with it.

Back