Richmond, VA users

Clay Jackson

TVWBB Super Fan
FYI

A brand new full service Buthcer has opened in Richmond. The name is The Butcher at Bon Air. I have spoken with Peter and he is the nicest and most knowledgeable guy. THe owner is Barry Sweeny. The address is 2720 Tinsley Drive, right next to Bon Air Seafood and the phone number is 323-MEAT.

I am so ecited about the opening. I intrduced myself as Clay, your new best customer.

This is good to know. I'll have to check it out. Do you know of any others in the area? I'm out in the West End near Regency Square Mall.

Bill, I do not know of any others. Ukrops was a waste of time for me. Just guys that worked in the meat department, not really butchers. I actually had to show one of them how to prepare my spares for me.

I tried Fresh Market, but it is really pricey.

Hey, make sure you come by the VA BBQ cookoff on the 13th at the raceway.

I should be in town the 13th, so I'll try to make my way out there.

I had heard about the Fresh Market place, but haven't been in there. Always too crowded.

My ex-sister-in-law swears by a place called Stonewall Market on Grove Ave. I don't know if they have a full-fledged butcher, but the meat she gets from there is awesome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay Jackson:
Westover Hills area...just south of the river over Powhite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clay - Hey just wanted to let you know I am in Westover Hills also. I enjoy your posts. Will also check out the Stonewall Market. I have driven past it many times, but never gone in.

My ex-sister-in-law knows one of the people that works in there very well. I'll try to get her name and send it to you guys. It would be good to let her know how you found out about the place.

Hadn't checked the board for a few days, I'm glad to hear this. I'm over in eastern Henrico so, for special occasions I would drive over to Chesterfield to get quality meats. If anyone does check out the Stonewall please post, my kids' dentist is out near there and I drive by it every appointment for them (I guess I could be the one to check it out).

Good luck in the competition coming up. I hope I can make out and say hello.

Tom R

That should say "make it out and say hello".
icon_smile.gif

If you go by Stonewall Market, ask to speak to Tammy. I think she's in there most all the time. My ex-sister-in-law said she can get most any kind of meat you want and they always have specials on beef tenderloin going on.

From what I've gathered, they're not a full-fledged butcher or anything. But are helpful and can get you what you want. She also said the usually stock natural turkeys, which I've had a hard time finding in the normal grocery stores.

Anyway, worth a shot to see what they offer. I'm definitely going to find this butcher in Bon Air though.

Since we're on the Richmond topic, where do you guys find smoke wood in the area?

Richmond and Smoke wood do not seem to get along. I have the hardest time finding wood. I have actually had to resort to ordering online for apple and cherry.

I recently sold a house to a guy that has apple and oak trees all of his land so I made a deal with him that if he gives all the dead limb trimmings to his Realtor I will always make him a pork shoulder with the first batch.

Other than that I do not have any sources for wood. If you find any, or know a firewood guy that can find one...let me know.

By the way, I ordered all of my meat, except pork shoulder from the buthcer in Bon Air. He was really nice with the order. I pick it all up next Wednesday.

While I was there I grabbed two ribeyes for the grill that night. I love it when they ask...how thick do you want them?....They were about 1 or two dollars more than ukrops, but 100 times better than anything I had ever gotten there or anywhere else. The cutting of a choice ribeye off the meat is worth the extra cash in my opinion for special occasions.

Oh, here is what I ordered....

4 whole chickens (I like to butterfly and split myself..the chickens come from Ashley Farms down in NC)
4 7lb Brisket Flats
6 racks of spare ribs.

I like the Pork Shoulders so much from Sams I will get them there. I don't think I will get a better grade at a butcher...pork should is pork should in my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Wooten:

Since we're on the Richmond topic, where do you guys find smoke wood in the area? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finding good smoke wood is a problem here. I find myself in Raleigh or NoVa often so I stockup at BBQ Galore

Thanks for the info on the BBQ Galore store in NOVA. I'm going to be in Herndon for training in a couple of weeks and would love to spend some of my free time checking out BBQ supplies!!!

I'm off to search the net now for their location!

Back