Rich Davis Rib Sprinkle

f.j. tedford

TVWBB Fan
This is a somewhat sweet and not too salty rub recipe I got from a cooking show that Rich Davis did many years ago. It is from about 1989. I've used it a couple of times and found the ribs very flavorful cooked low and slow and unsauced, just mopped.

4oz sugar
1oz black pepper
1oz paprika
1oz salt
1tbs comino
1tbs chili powder
1tbs celery seed
1tps onion powder
1/2tsp tumeric(a little goes a long way)
1/2tsp mustard powder
This is much sweeter than the rubs in his books. Just found it in my files and thought I'd post it as an interesting alternative from a well known Q'er.

Thanks -- this looks pretty good; I'll try it next time I do ribs. I just put some salmon on the WSM.

Kelly

Jim,

It's cumin. Check out the link I just posted on this board for the website of spices. That was my question too; that's how I found the site! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kelly

Jim,
Common usage in South Texas is comino for ground cumin seed. I don't really know if that is exactly correct usage it's just what I grew up with. Tumeric is the odd one in this recipe. Use too much and you'll have yellow ribs! Some seem folks also think it is a pretty good laxative too???

Another odd thing about this rub is the sugar. It does not really taste as sweet as the proportion of sugar might indicate. I think the sugar offsets the celery seed which can be somewhat bitter.

Is interesting rub as you said the tumeric and no garlic. Celery I would normally use with beef but this one looks worth a try.
Now when a Texan hits me with Comino I don't have to ask the question.
Thanks
Jim

I smoked three sets of baby backs this weekend doing a comparison of the Rich Davis Rib Sprinkle, Mary's Cherry Rub from Pork Rubbers and Obie Cue's Brown Bomber. The ribs were cooked for 5.5hrs at 260 dome temp and rested in foil for an hour before eating. They were halftime mopped with apple juice and some oil. They pulled clean from the bone when eaten.

The Rich Davis rub and Mary's Cherry were very flavorful with the Davis rub the clear winner. The Obie Cue Brown Bomber benefitted from the addition of some doctored KC Masterpiece sauce. A first for me with ribs was that the Obie Cue rub was too low in salt. Maybe if I had used more of the Brown Bomber it would have fared better.

The Mary's Cherry is notably sweet with an aromatic hint of cherry flavor. The Rich Davis rub comes across spicy despite the predominance of sugar in the rub and both were best without any sauce in my opinion.

Comino=cumin en espa?ol. Good stuff. I just put some into a rub I'm going to use on a brisket this weekend:

1 tb. pepper
3 tb. salt
1 tb. garlic powder
1 tb. cayenne
2 tb. chili powder
2 tb. Spanish smoked piment?n (paprika)
1 tb. comino
2 tb. brown sugar

This is my first shot at a brisket. Wish me luck.

Mr S.

Let us know how it goes, Mr. S. I'm still grumbling because brisket is virtually nonexistent in this town!

Kelly

Kelly,
Brisket is hard to find in SF, too. I can find choice or prime without paying too much.
I can get select though ratther easily at Smart and Final.
Next time you're down here, holler. I'll point you to them. You can bring a couple home for the freezer.

The brisket was delicious, even though it caught me by surprise and exceeded my target temperature by about seven degrees. Brisket is plentiful here, if not cheap. Kelly and Henry Joe: I'm surprised it's hard to find brisket in Northern Calif. Maybe you should check some of the smaller meat markets. I'm lucky, I suppose; my butcher will cut my meat any way I want it.

Mr S.

Sqeaky,
Here in San Francisco proper there are many smaller meat markets in the asian and hispanic neighborhoods. I can easily get my hands on select grade meat there, but it's hard to find choice or prime. The Mission is the big hispanic neighborhood and there are plenty of meat markets there. But you have to call in first and have them save you a brisket -- they cut them into 3-4 pound sections and sell them trimmed and scored. And they sell out that way, too. Apparently there is a mexican dish that uses braised brisket that is very popular.
So untrimmed, packer cut briskets are hard to get.
Go figure!
HJP

We'll be in the Bay Area Thursday, July 11th. We're taking the KCBS Certified Barbecue Judging Class in Hollister. Should be lots of fun and I plan on bringing a cooler so we can stock up on brisket. Actually, my dad will be in Hollister that weekend too, from L.A. He has no problem finding brisket in his neck of the woods so we may have him load up a cooler for us.

Kelly

Kelly,
I will be in that class as well.
Are you cooking in the West Coast, too?
I'll be there, either on someone's team or just hanging out.
I can point you toward briskets for the drive home.
See you then.
HJP
PS. Still coming down for the Paul Kirk class?

Unfortunately, we won't be able to make the Paul Kirk class this time because of work obligations and a few trips already planned requiring time off this summer (camping for our anniversary on June 14th, the class in Hollister, and a 7-day cruise to Alaska in August!!). We won't be cooking at West Coast, just hanging out with my Dad (Roger Cole of the Pork Belly Bandits). I don't know yet if the PBB will be there to cook but I'm sure we'll meet lots of wonderful people.

See you in July, and I'll make plenty of space in the freezer for those briskets!

Kelly

DH also wanted a rub recipe using cumin (comino). A also like the idea that this recipe also calls for tumeric which is very healthful.

Yes, I started looking at pg. 30 of all the old recipes posted here. What a lot of good stuff I am finding.

Sqeaky,
Here in San Francisco proper there are many smaller meat markets in the asian and hispanic neighborhoods. I can easily get my hands on select grade meat there, but it's hard to find choice or prime. The Mission is the big hispanic neighborhood and there are plenty of meat markets there. But you have to call in first and have them save you a brisket -- they cut them into 3-4 pound sections and sell them trimmed and scored. And they sell out that way, too. Apparently there is a mexican dish that uses braised brisket that is very popular.
So untrimmed, packer cut briskets are hard to get.
Go figure!
HJP
Have you tried Sutro or Petrini's. I've been out of SF for almost 30 years, but they were my go-to stores for great meat when I was there.

Back